Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1299347.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:30:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 44770 53914


WORMLEIGHTON SP4453 15/162 Church of St. Peter 30/05/67


Church. Early C12 origins. Tower and aisles. Late C12/early C13; aisles largely rebuilt C14. Chancel C14; east and south walls rebuilt C18. South porch C14/C15. Clerestory c.1500. Ironstone: nave, south aisle and tower of coursed squared rubble; chancel, north aisle and porch regular coursed. Slate roofs; chancel has moulded gable parapet and kneelers. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, south porch; 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. Chancel has early Perpendicular moulded 3-light east window, chamfered south doorway with shouldered lintel and C18 door. 2-light windows. South side has mid C14 straight-headed Decorated eastern window and renewed western window of paired lancets. North side has early C14 eastern window with cusped Y-tracery and Decorated western window. Porch has simple moulded arch. Coped gable parapet with cross. Late C12/early C13 south doorway inside of 2 moulded orders and hood mould with return stops. Ancient studded door has strap hinges. Aisles have two-light windows. C19 straight-headed Perpendicular east windows. North aisle has Decorated eastern window; south aisle has 2 similar but largely renewed. South aisle has C15 straight-headed south-west window. Late C13 west lancet. North aisle has wide moulded north doorway with hood mould and plank door. Central and western windows similar to east window. 3-bay clerestory has restored windows similar to south-west aisle window. West tower of 3 splay-stepped stages has north-west diagonal and south-west angle buttresses with 4 offsets. Low wide moulded south door has hood-mould. Small west lancet has buttress below with re-set carved heads. Second stage has small louvred south lancet. Round-arch bell openings with paired lancets and central shaft. Restored corbel table of carved heads. Moulded coped parapet with remains of pinnacles. Interior: chancel has shallow-pitched C19 panelled boarded roof. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders and half-octagonal shafts. Nave has late C12/C13 arcades of round piers with moulded capitals and chamfered arches. Low arched tower door. C16/C17 shallow-pitched queen strut roof. North aisle has ogee-arched tomb recess with hood-mould, fleur-de-lys finial and bosses. Fittings: chancel has some early C17 panelling. Mid C17 altar rails have turned balusters arid pendants. Fine Cl5/early C16 screen of 7 elaborately traceried and moulded panels. Top possibly C19. Said to have once been part of a musicians gallery in Warmington Manor House (q.v.). Re-cut C13 font on moulded stem. Finely carved bench ends in chancel. Some reused C15 panels in nave seats. Medieval encaustic tiles, said to be from Stoneleigh Abbey. C19 traceried pulpit. Spencer coat of arms set in west wall. Framed Royal arms of 1826, inscribed 'David Selby, Churchwarden'. Monuments: chancel north: John Spencer 1610. large fine wall monument with pilasters and entablature, and achievement of arms. The inscription records that he died in Blois. South: An Barford 1686. Wall monument. A largely unaltered medieval church. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p.482; V.C.H.: Warwickshire: Vol.V, pp.221-224).

Listing NGR: SP4476853915


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 221-224
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 482


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 2005
Reference: IOE01/14804/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].