CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS AND ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1300358
Date first listed:
27-May-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS AND ST MARGARET, ENFORD HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS AND ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300358.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:25:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS AND ST MARGARET, ENFORD HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Enford
National Grid Reference:
SU 14061 51632

Details

ENFORD ENFORD HILL SU 15 SW (north side) 5/22 Church of All Saints and St. Margaret 27.5.64 GV I Anglican parish church. C12 and probably earlier, C13, C14, C15 and C18, restored 1825-30 by Benoni White of Devizes and 1892-3 by C.E. Ponting. Banded flint and limestone, slate and lead roofs. Tower of ashlar. Nave with aisles, south porch, chancel and west tower. Nave clerestory and south aisle have 2-light cusped windows with square heads. North aisle, early C14, with independently pitched roof and quatrefoiled tracery, 3-light to east window. C15 tower of 3 stages with stair tower in south west corner rising above crenellated parapet. The spire fell in 1817. Three-light west window and door below. South porch rebuilt after 1817 with horizontal parapet. The inner door early C13 with pointed arch on nook shafts having plain trumpet capitals. Inverted stoup on right of door. Octagonal sacristry on north side of chancel. Interior: Nave walls probably Anglo-Saxon (77cm thick) pierced with C12 round arches on nook shafted piers, the arches with roll mouldings to the arrises. Scalloped capitals. Earlier tall shaft built in to east respond of south arcade. Clerestory on south side only. Four bay flat panelled roof of 1892-3. Chancel arch late C12-early C13; pointed arch on 2 orders of columns with varied scalloped capitals. Chancel, late C13, with bold and plain wall arcade on north side only; tall pointed arches of alternating heights, all with hollow chamfer. Shouldered arch to sacristry and recessed door in adjacent arch. Trefoiled piscina at east end. South side rebuilt in brick and reroofed in 1779; 4 bays with shallow pitched king post trusses. Chamfered stone altar top on wooden base. Sacristry has lancets alternating with cupboards and a conical roof. Eleven encaustic tiles set into walls. North Aisle wider than nave and extended to west to clasp tower. Raised east end with fine piscina enriched with trail-linked ball flowers, and open at rear to nave choir through a pierced stone grille. Aumbry on north side. Flat plaster ceiling of 1858. South Aisle C15 replacing one of C12, also with plaster ceiling. Tower base raised over 3 steps, with tall arches of 2 chamfered orders on round shafts. Fittings: Font, under tower, C15 with simply carved symbols. C17 oak cover with carved brackets towards centre baluster. Pulpit of 1891. Hour glass holder wall bracket. Pews are early C19, plain green painted panelling. Organ by G. Osmond of Taunton. Furniture: in chancel, interesting double chest seat of early C17. Monuments: in chancel: south wall, Tablet, C18 white marble on slate, by T. King of Bath, scroll over tablet with attic over cornice bearing arms and flaming beacons. Crest a draped urn, to Abraham Pooke of Longstreet, died 1767, and family. Tablet, later C18, white marble with yellow inlay around panels and veined marble pyramid over, to Henry and Mary Hunt, died 1773 and 1746. In nave: Tablet, C19, white marble on black, draped inscription to Martha Stagg of Netheravon, died 1853, and husband. South Aisle: Tablet, C18, limestone and slate, with apron and crest, to Ann Burnet died 1788. Tablet, oval inscription on Carrara marble, to Hezekiah Munday of Coombe, died 1787. Also in nave, two hatchments, to John Grove of Chisenbury, died 1699, and Hugh Grove, died 1765. Royal Arms in relief over chancel arch, dated 1831 and restored 1970. In Sacristry, C19 brass to Hugh Grove who restored the church in 1655. In the North Aisle, reset in window, a small kneeling figure of Jennifer Baskerville, died 1615, and marble inscription. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire; Church Guide.)

Listing NGR: SU1405951627

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
310974
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16474/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].