This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1302399



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Clanfield

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 142816

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/8 Church of St Michael

16.3.54 II*

Parish church. Late C12 or early C13 Early English chancel, nave and western tower, C14 south transept, and C19 north porch. Walls of flint (some plaster work in the chancel) with stone quoins, stepped buttresses to the chancel, brick quoins to the upper part of the tower. Plain tile roof. The plain tower has a low crenellated parapet, a small pyramid roof, and small openings; a wide plain doorway, now filled, was the entrance to the church. The porch has a flint and stone wall, with pierced wooden frame above, supporting a gabled roof with decorative bargeboards. The windows are mostly tall lancets, the south side of the nave having a coupled light with a (plate tracery) trefoil head, the north side a coupled light of the Decorated style with reticulated tracery, repeated in the south window of the transept, in the chancel there is a low-side window beneath a filled lancet and a restored 4-light east window of Geometrical style. Interior: there are deep splays to the windows, and a cill band in the chancel, double trefoil heads to a piscina, and an aumbry cupboard. The arch to the transept has half-columns (responds) of octagonal form, and the octagonal font (C15) is placed there. Wall monuments include a kneeling figure within a Corinthian framework (Richard Ball, died 1632), two other classical monuments, of 1720 and 1829, and small monuments of 1819 and 1933.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 73200 15945


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302399 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 08:37:34.

End of official listing