TRITLINGTON OLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1303974
Date first listed:
30-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
TRITLINGTON OLD HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRITLINGTON OLD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303974 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 23:21:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
TRITLINGTON OLD HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tritlington and West Chevington
National Grid Reference:
NZ 20669 92636

Details

TRITLINGTON TRITLINGTON NZ 2092 16/246 Tritlington Old Hall GV II House; medieval tower enlarged 1595, probably by Martin Ogle. Remodelled 1723 by Deodatus Threlkeld, alterations 1900 and c.1980. Stone with dressings, Welsh slate roof. L-plan with stone spiral stair in extruded turret to rear. Entrance front 3 irregular bays. Left bay is south wall of medieval tower, now 1 1/2 storeys with blocked ground-floor window and attic sash under gable of c.1900 capped by stepped and corniced stack. To right south wall of 1595 block refaced 1723, 2 storeys. 4-panel door with 2-pane overlight in stop-chamfered surround of 1900 and renewed 16-pane sash in raised stone surround. 1st floor 2 renewed 12-pane sashes in flush stone surrounds with narrow chamfer, and slightly projecting sills. Right end gable coped with kneelers and renewed stack. On right return former door, now window, in raised and chamfered stone surround. Left return 2 storeys, 2 bays, largely refaced 1923, with plain sash windows of 1900, central small blocked ground-floor window. Rear elevation shows stair-turret partly corbelled- out, with 2 small chamfered-surround windows and weathering of roof of destroyed north range. Both turret and tower at right now have gables of 1900, with sash windows. To left a 3-bay outshut of 1900 heightened c.1980. Old lintel from wall behind re-set at 1st floor level, inscribed MOA (Martin Ogle aedificat?) 1595 IF.

Interior: doorway with chamfered surround at foot of newel stair, blocked doorway, with chamfered surround and relieving arch above, from stair to sitting room. Cellar beneath kitchen has brick barrel vault; bedroom above sitting room has panelled wall with fireplace surround, both probably of 1723.

Deodatus Threlkeld, the Newcastle watchmaker, is described as having 'built' the house, moving into residence in 1723.

R. Bibby 'Tritlington Old Hall' Northumbriana 7,8 & 9 (1976/77)

Listing NGR: NZ2066992636

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238401
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Northumbriana' in Northumbriana, (1977)
'Northumbriana' in Northumbriana, (1976)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/02327/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J Wilkinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].