KEMBLE STATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1304289

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: KEMBLE STATION

Map

Ordnance survey map of KEMBLE STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304289 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 01:44:03.

Location

Statutory Address: KEMBLE STATION

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Kemble

National Grid Reference: ST 98491 97554

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KEMBLE KEMBLE VILLAGE ST 9897 13/65 Kemble Station GV II Station, including main ticket office on east side, adjoining structure on east platform, platform buildings on west side and linking footbridge, on former G.W.R. Swindon to Gloucester line opened 1845. Station of 1882, in Tudor style. Main building on east side in coursed and dressed stone on offset plinth, bitumenised slate roof, 3 grouped diagonally set square flues on stone ridge stack, and 2 similar at east end. North front has gable at each end, continuing as projecting gabled wing on west side, alongside platform. Gables are all coped with kneelers and splayed slit openings in flush surround. Wide, open stone Tudor archway at angle on east end leading to disused platform with half height 4-panel double doors with spikes. Wooden canopy across whole of north front, linking archway and gabled wing with dagger pattern bargeboard. Main station building has generally Tudor arched doorways in flush stone, and large chamfered stone window openings with mainly 2 or 3-light wooden mullion and transom windows, apparently mostly original. Behind building and linking it to platform is glazed-in walkway with boarded ceiling with cast iron structure. Glazed-in south side has X-braced open beam supported on decorative columns partially obscurea by infilling. Platforms on both side of line have coursed and dressed stone rear walls with scattered door and window openings in same style as main building. Sloping boarded canopy over platforms supported on cast iron structure with X-braced open beam along length carried on 9 unevenly spaced thin fluted columns with twisted decoration at base and flower capitals, with brackets pierced with trefoils supporting iron beams at right angles to main beam. Dagger pattern bargeboard along length of canopy on both sides. Several large original C19 wooden benches remain on both platforms. Stair from platform to footbridge across line at south end formed by interlaced X-bracing along sides with later pitched roof of corrugated iron. Apart from the loss of one small building behind main ticket office, this station is virtually complete as built, unaltered, and in a good state of preservation.

Listing NGR: ST9849197554

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 129362

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing