CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1305975
Date first listed:
05-Sep-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, BROOKE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305975 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 08:25:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, BROOKE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Mundham
National Grid Reference:
TM 32484 98024

Details

TM 39 NW MUNDHAM BROOKE ROAD 3/44 Church of St. Peter 5.9.60 I

Parish church. Medieval. 'Flint with stone dressings. Pantile and slate roofs. West tower, C12 nave, C19 north aisle, south porch, C14 chancel. Embattled tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses to west. Restored west window of 2 cupsed lights with a perpendicular member rising from the head of each light; hood mould; some brick voussoirs. Small single cusped lights with hood moulds to the ringing chamber. Bell-openings as west window. Flushwork battlement with pinnacles at angles. 3-bay nave with added buttresses to south. 2 restored 3 ogee-light windows, under square hood moulds. North aisle of 1887 has 2 similar windows. C19 doorway in west wall of aisle. No clerestorey. Unbuttressed chancel of 2 bays with 2 restored 2-light Decorated windows to south with hood moulds with figure stops. Similar window to north. East window C19 Decorated. Unbuttressed south porch to first nave bay. C19 2-light windows to east and west; archway with polygonal shafts, capitals and bases with hollow chamfer to arch; continuous outer order; hood mould. Blocked niche over. Elaborately carved C12 nave doorway of 3 orders. Chevron moulded and plain shafts; intermediate angles with concave flowers, pyramidal and cable mouldings. Arch with chevron, paired scroll and billet mouldings. Interior: stoup beside south door. Nave arcade of 2 bays of 1887. Westernmost nave bay is used as a vestry, the wall to nave with medieval paintings including St. Christopher. Opening in south wall of tower having brick reveals and arch, possibly a wafer oven. Tower arch with imposts. Nave roof with embattled wall plate. Plain ashlaring, scissor-braces. C15 rood screen with cavetto moulding to middle rail, remains of crenellation to top rail. Chancel: restored piscina. Arch braced roof with roll-moulded wall plate, purlins and braces. C19 font; remains of C12 font bowl and supporting shafts with some capitals in tower. Royal arms dated 1743 GIIR.

Listing NGR: TM3248498024

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
227391
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06781/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeffrey A. Herrington. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].