ST MARY'S INCLUDING 2 SUMMERHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1306318
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1985
Statutory Address:
ST MARY'S INCLUDING 2 SUMMERHOUSES, WHIMPWELL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MARY'S INCLUDING 2 SUMMERHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306318 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jun-2019 at 22:07:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST MARY'S INCLUDING 2 SUMMERHOUSES, WHIMPWELL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Happisburgh
National Grid Reference:
TG 38178 30990

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/10/2012

TG 33 SE 5/47 11.3.85

HAPPISBURGH WHIMPELL STREET (east side) St Mary's including 2 summerhouses

GV II*

House, now restaurant and Country Club. 1900 by Detmar Blow for the Cators, a local Roman Catholic family. Vernacular Domestic Revival style. Pebble flint with brick and tile dressings and thatched roofs. Butterfly or X plan. 2 storeys and attics. Entrance front with central single storey gabled porch: oak door under lintel of Roman tiles with flint chequerwork and brick. 5-light leaded casements either side and 2 first floor dormers under eyebrow thatching. These flank central 2 storey gabled dormer with brick diaper. At north-west and south-west are gabled wings with single 4-light ground floor, 3-light first floor and 3-light attic floor casements. Brick quoins, attic floor platband and tumbling. Purlin irons with lettering: AVE MARIA STELLA MARIS on all gables. Returns of both south wings on entrance front pierced by one casement on ground floors and 2 to first floors. Gabled roofs. 2 dormers below eyebrow thatching. Forest of romantically placed stacks. Interior. Central panelled room. Fireplace decorated with coat of arms, date 1900 and motto. Panelled room also in south-west wing. Stone stairs to south. Between south wings a quadrant flint and brick wall. Between north wings a quadrant single storey service block with brick stack. At north-east and south-east corners 2 flint and brick summerhouses with hipped roofs attached to encircling wall and linked to house.. St Marys is said to be the first "fully-worked" example of the four-wing butterfly plan house and influenced architects such as Prior and Lutyens. Source: R J Holder, Victorian Society correspondence.



Listing NGR: TG3817830990

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224262
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Holder, R J,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].