This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ROOK HALL FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROOK HALL FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1306803

Location

ROOK HALL FARMHOUSE, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cressing

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 116387

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CRESSING THE STREET TL 72 SE (west side)

1/63 Rook Hall Farmhouse 21.12.67

GV II

House. C16 to C17, altered in C18 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main range of 3 bays facing NE, with central stack forming a lobby-entrance. Rear range surviving from part of a late medieval house, forming a T-plan. Small single-storey extension to right. Rear extensions of various dates. 2 storeys and attics. 2 early C19 sashes of 16 lights on each floor, and one C18 sash of 12 lights over door. Crown glass. Central double doors each with 3 fielded panels, plastered doorcase with rusticated jambs, pulvinated frieze and moulded and dentilled pediment. Elevation slightly asymmetrical. 4 square shafts with ovolo-moulded cornice emerge from roof, becoming octagonal above cornice, with spiked caps, restored. The main range has jowled posts, straight bracing at first floor only, interrupting the studding. 2 main studs in each long bay, enclosing the windows. Chamfered axial beams with lamb's tongue stops. Face-halved and bladed scarfs in wallplates. Straight tiebeams. One extra tiebeam and pair of principal rafters in each long bay. Clasped purlin roof with near-straight wind bracing. The rear wing comprises the service bay of a late medieval house, and one bay containing a newel stair. An incomplete carved inscription on the front girt of the right bay of the main range has the numerals 75 and 3 initials, suggesting a marriage in 1575; the initials have not proved to be identifiable, as the parish registers for the appropriate period have not survived. Structural features of this range would be compatible with a date of circa 1600 or in the early C17. (C.A. Hewett, English Historic Carpentry, 1980, 225-6 and 269). RCHM 7.

Listing NGR: TL7923820634

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hewett, C A , English Historic Carpentry, (1980), 225-6,269

National Grid Reference: TL 79238 20634

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306803 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 03:18:14.

End of official listing