PAMPISFORD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309185
Date first listed:
29-Oct-1974
Statutory Address:
PAMPISFORD HALL, ROYSTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PAMPISFORD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309185 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 00:26:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
PAMPISFORD HALL, ROYSTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Pampisford
National Grid Reference:
TL 50941 48409

Details

TL 54 NW PAMPISFORD ROYSTON ROAD (South Side)

5/194 Pampisford Hall 29.10.74 II

Country house. 1820-31, main front rebuilt 1830-41 with additions and alterations c.1860 from designs by George Goldie (1828-87), for Wm Parker Hamond (d.1873); redecorated by his son, Wm Parker Hamond (d.1884), in Italian and French Renaissance styles, 1875. Additions, 1912 for J Binney. Gault brick above stone plinth, slated and lead roofs. Two and three storeys. Plan, original main south-east block with long north-west wing and kitchen projecting to north-east, infilled with dining room and staircase hall, both extended beyond north-east facade during 1867 alterations when original wing is raised to three storeys and loggia added. South-east elevation, three 'bay' projecting in shallow curve. Central glazed door with side lights approached by stone steps. Two three-light dummy hung sash windows; three first floor single light hung sash windows. Projecting moulded wooden eaves cornice with shaped brackets carried around the building. South- west elevation from right hand; three garden casements with later hung sash windows without glazing bars with original wooden pelmets and architrave, three similar first floor windows without pelmets and architrave. Loggia of four bays with paired columns; one three-light and two single-light hung sash windows; three 'bays' to left hand with three single-light hung sash windows. Balustraded Doric side entrance porch to north-east. Interior: Main rooms of south-east block have elaborate moulded and enriched cornices. Library chimney piece of panelled yellow marble, drawing room with original white marble chimney piece with terminal figures, enriched frieze and central figure group; rich neo-Pompeiian wallpaper. Anteroom entrance to vestibule has two square columns between pilasters with an entablature, the vestibule has a painted plaster-vault ceiling. The park contains 1,000 foreign species of trees and shrubs imported by the Parker Hamond and Binney families; the formal gardens were designed by G Marnock (VCH).

RCHM Report 1951 VCH Vol VI p107 Drawings 1820+ and 1830+ in private ownership RIBA Sessional Pepers 1886-7 (obituary to George Goldie, Pampisford Hall listed as one of his works) Sale Catelogue. 1893. CRO.

Listing NGR: TL5094148409

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
52043
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sessional Papers obituary to George Goldie, (1886)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 107
'Royal Institute of British Architects Sessional Papers' in Royal Institute of British Architects Sessional Papers, (1887)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 5 Cambridgeshire,
Reports on Buildings in the Parishes of Babraham Great Abington Hildersham Linton Little Abington and Pampisford Cambridgeshire, (1951)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].