This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1309975



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: City of Peterborough

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bainton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49836

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 5141 BAINTON TALLINGTON ROAD (east side) Church of St Mary TF 0906 28/52 19.3.62 GV 2. From early C13. Ashlar and with lead roofs. Nave has Decorated south window either side of porch and Decorated south doorway, large Perpendicular south windows. Early C13 north aisle and north chapel with straight headed Perpendicular windows. C15 chancel with Perpendicular 3-light east and south windows. The chancel, north aisle and chapel are buttressed and the nave, chancel and north aisle have moulded parapet. C15 south porch with battlements and winder 4-centred arch. C14 west tower with-angle buttresses, moulded base and recessed sides with large 2-light bell-openings with Y-tracery and ball flower friezes, west window has ogee details. Stone broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: Early C13 three bay northarcade plus one C14 bay at west end. Three bays have double-chamfered round arches and circular piers with round moulded capitals and abaci. The west bay is narrower and has pointed arch with crenellated capitals. Depressed tie beam nave and chancel roofs. Two fine C13 piscinas, not in original positions, both gabled, one with oak leaves and acorns, the other crocketed and with finial. C13 octagonal font on clustered columns. Monument to Mary Henson 1805 by Sir Richard Westmacott. Victorian furnishings. RCHM Northamptonshire Vol II.

Listing NGR: TF0944806050

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1906)

National Grid Reference: TF 09448 06050


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309975 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2017 at 04:51:03.

End of official listing