CHURCH OF ST HILDA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1316255
Date first listed:
06-Oct-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HILDA

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HILDA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1316255 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 04:19:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HILDA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Scarborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Danby
National Park:
NORTH YORK MOORS
National Grid Reference:
NZ 69619 06309

Details

NZ 60 NE DANBY DANBY DALE East side

6/21 Church of St. Hilda 6.10.69

GV II*



Church. C14 tower-porch. Nave rebuilt 1789, chancel added 1848 possibly by Butterfield; restoration by Temple Moore in 1903. Sandstone, the tower large square blocks, nave finely-coursed tooled blocks, chancel ashlar. Graduated Lakeland slate roof with ridged stone copings, finials and gable crosses. Aisled nave with south porch/tower, chancel with short north vestry. West end has 2 stout buttresses flanking large round-headed window with triple keystone and impost blocks; oculus above; small square-headed aisle end windows. At north-west corner external stair to gallery added 1808 (dated on plaque inside window). Plinth around nave; tall keyed round-arched aisle windows. South tower of one tall stage with diagonal buttresses, eaves string with prominent waterspouts to east and west and battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles. Short extruded west vice with tiny window. Hollow-chamfered, segment-headed doorway. Single tiny light above and paired bell openings with cusped heads. Chancel in Early English style with narrow lancets to north and south and 3-light east window with plate tracery head. Pent vestry under continuous roof. Asymmetrical: vestry and east end each have one straight and one diagonal stepped buttress.

Interior plastered. 4-bay nave. Very tall double-chamfered pointed arcade on round piers, rebuilt by Temple Moore but leaving most of one capital to show the reconstruction was correct. C19 king-post nave roof and arch-braced chancel roof. Panelled west gallery. Minton tiles in chancel and raised sanctuary. In porch and inside door boards giving names of subscribers to the school and benefactors of the parish from C17 to early C19. Medieval grave cover in porch.

Pevsner, N. Riding p. 135.

Listing NGR: NZ6961906309

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
327939
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 135

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08050/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Nina Pickup. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].