KILNSEY OLD HALL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- KILNSEY OLD HALL, MASTILES LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1316821.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2021 at 17:39:44.
- Statutory Address:
- KILNSEY OLD HALL, MASTILES LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Yorkshire
- Craven (District Authority)
- Conistone with Kilnsey
- National Park:
- YORKSHIRE DALES
- National Grid Reference:
- SD 97324 67845
SD 9767 CONISTONE WITH KILNSEY MASTILES LANE
23/70 Kilnsey Old Hall
House. Now farm outbuilding. 1648, for Christopher Wade, altered to farm use probably c1800 when it was reroofed. Limestone rubble with gritstone dressings; graduated stone slate roof. L-shape plan built on a steep slope; the main range of 4 bays facing northeast; of 3 storeys with attics, but now unfloored at the downhill end and reducing to 2 storeys with attics, at the other. A rear 3-storey, 1-bay wing projects behind bay 4. Quoins. North-east façade, bay 1: a board byre door with chamfered quoined jambs and lintel; bay 2: cart entrance with keyed segmental arch (the quoined jambs changing to indicate a raised archway), and a very weathered carved stone above the keystone. Bay 4, at a higher ground floor level: doorway with hollow, fillet and quarter round moulding to quoined jambs, the lintel with 3-centred arch having 2 recessed plaques with raised lettering : "1648 C W". Between the date and initials is carved a vertical sword with quillons and simple knuckle bow. A flight of external stone steps, to left of this doorway, rise to a board door in chamfered quoined surround. Fenestration, first-floor: bay 1, a chamfered window with socket for a missing vertical glazing bar; bay 3, a fine 6-light recessed chamfered mullion window with king mullion and hood mould. Second floor: blocked recessed chamfered mullion windows of 2, 2, 3 and 2 lights. Eaves raised or rebuilt. Moulded kneeler with base of vase finial and gable coping to left, hipped roof right. Left return: this gable was the principal facade of the original building. Chamfered plinth; ground floor: two 2-light recessed chamfered mullion windows, mullions missing. First floor: central 6-light similar window with king mullion and hood mould; second floor: similar, of 4 lights with hood mould and small chamfered windows to right: 3rd floor (attic storey): a 2-light window. Moulded gable coping and kneelers with moulded square vase finials. Rear (south) facade of main range: chamfered plinth to right; central inserted door with chamfered quoins to left jamb. Recessed and chamfered mullioned windows throughout of 2 and 1 light to first floor and of 3 and 3 lights to second floor, all blocked. External stacks left ( in angle of rear wing) and right of centre; the tops truncated and roofed over. Rear wing: 3-light windows to ground and first floors, above,2 single-light windows, that to right blocked. Projecting external stack with corniced ashlar flue to left gable. Moulded kneelers and gable coping. Interior: C17 plasterwork and fireplaces remain at first and second floor levels on the rear wall of the main range: from left to right- a scrolled frieze, apparently a window surround and below the original ceiling; a fireplace with moulding similar to the original doorway and an overmantle with ? fleurs de lis, and remains of a date with the letters "16" and "E W" or "T W". Above this fireplace there is another to the second floor, blocked, with quoined jambs. To right a vertical scar of a demolished partition wall, and to right again a fine arched fireplace with voussoirs at first-floor level is blocked and partly concealed by an inserted rubble cross wall. Further plasterwork remains on the inner face of the wall with the cart arch: a frieze with rose, acorn and vine leaf motifs in high relief to left of the original cross wall line; to right there is a series of panels with ? tree of life, vine scrolls, winged motif with lozenge and pomegranate; further plain plaster to second floor, flanking the blocked windows. The rear wing is entered through the 1648 doorway; the room to right of the main range is plastered, has recessed joists with stepped run-out chamfer stops and C20 cattle stalls. The rear wing is floored; rounded corbels support a long spine beam which has stepped run-out stops. The fireplaces in the gable (ground and first floors) have deeply chamfered large quoins and single- block lintels cut to a slightly cambered arch. The roof structure overall is of iron bolted queen post trusses, elaborately constructed to carry the roof around the hipped main range to wing junction. History: the site belonged to Fountains Abbey and was an important grange and collecting point for the sheep sheared on Malham Moor. In the mid C16 the estate was bought by the Yorke family who in turn sold it to Christopher Wade. His initials on the door lintel suggest that he was responsible for the present building. His son, Cuthbert was a Captain of Royalist forces during the Civil War and was fined, but the estate appears to have survived. The Wade family remained until 1693 but the house was probably tenanted by 1745 by which time the estate was heavily mortgaged and the first edition of Whitaker's "Craven" (1805) described the building as "entirely dismantled is now used for agricultural purposes, and is fast becoming a ruin", Yorkshire Buildings Study Group, Report No 823, 1982. T.D. Whitaker, The History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven, 1805 Reprinted 1973, p530
Listing NGR: SD9732467845
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Whitaker, T D, The History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven, (1805), 530
'Yorkshire Buildings Study Group Report' in Yorkshire Buildings Study Group Report, , Vol. 823, (1982)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing