CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1318810
Date first listed:
06-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318810.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:12:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hindon
National Grid Reference:
ST 90979 32927

Details

HINDON HIGH STREET ST 9032 (east side)

8/136 Church of St. John the Baptist

GV II

Anglican parish church. 1870-71 by T.H. Wyatt, on the site of a Medieval chapel. Limestone ashlar, tiled roof. Plan: Nave and aisles, south-west tower with spire over entrance, chancel and south vestry. South doorway at base of tower has roll-moulded pointed archway with attached shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, 3- stage tower has angle buttresses and string courses, second stage has chamfered lancet and octagonal clock face, bell stage has 2- light plate tracery window with attached shafts and louvres, Lombard frieze to cornice, plain 4-sided spire. South aisle has two 2-light plate tracery windows with gables to lean-to roof, nave clerestory has three lancets. Gabled south vestry has shouldered doorway and lancet with quatrefoil to right, square ashlar stack, east side has 2 shouldered windows. Chancel has lancet on south side, three lancets with attached shafts and multifoil in moulded surround to east end, angle buttresses and coped verge with cross finial, north side has two lancets. North aisle has three windows as south aisle, five lancets to clerestory. West end has roll- moulded pointed doorway with double planked doors, flanked by pairs of attached shafts, gabled hood over with Agnus Dei and stiff-leaf finial, lancet either side and multifoil over. Cylindrical stair turret with chamfered loopholes in north-west angle between south aisle and tower. Interior: Porch below tower has pointed roll-moulded arch with double planked doors to nave, segmental-headed planked doors to stairs and to south aisle. Nave has 5-bay arch-braced collar roof with scissor trusses to half-bays, exposed rafters. Five-bay double-chamfered north arcade on cylindrical piers, 3-bay south arcade with organ filling eastern bay, lean-to aisle roofs with exposed rafters. Interior walls are rendered with ashlar dressings, stone floors. Roll-moulded and hollow-chamfered pointed chancel arch with marble shafts and hoodmould with foliated terminals. Chancel has 3-bay arch-braced collar truss roof, exposed ashlar walls, polychrome tiled floor, 2-seat trefoil-headed sedilia on south walls, roll-moulded pointed doorway to vestry, east windows have rere-arches on pink marble shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Fittings: C19 wrought iron and wood communion rail, pulpit with wooden open arcading on stone base, original pews, 1870s cylindrical stone font with carved decoration on four marble shafts around central stone column. Some classical marble wall tablets reset from earlier church; such as to James Ames died 1818, Ruth Hunter died 1794. Paid for by Marchioness of Westminster as memorial to the Marquess of Westminster of Fonthill Abbey (q.v.). (\n. Sheard, The History of Hindon, 1979)

Listing NGR: ST9097932927

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320926
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sheard, N, The History of Hindon, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16871/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].