CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1322763
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1322763 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 20:43:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wycliffe with Thorpe
National Grid Reference:
NZ 11684 14324

Details

NZ 11 SW WYCLIFFE WITH THORPE WYCLIFFE

7/201 Church of St. Mary

12.1.67

GV I

Parish Church. Mid-C13, remodelled in mid-C14, restored late C19. Rubble with re-used squared-blocks in west end and lower courses; cut dressings. Low-pitched C20 roofs not visible, except for graduated stone slates on porch and vestry. Aisleless 4-bay nave with south porch and 3-bay chancel with north vestry; axis of chancel deflected to south.

Nave has chamfered plinth except at west end; large stepped buttresses, those at west end diagonal. West window of 3 lancet lights with pierced spandrels, under hoodmould with animal-head stops; gabled bellcote with twin arches above. C14 south porch with chamfered plinth, and double-chamfered arch on semi-octagonal responds with moulded imposts; hoodmould over. Parapet has central gable with restored sundial; small chamfered window in west wall. Inside porch are restored stone benches and old studded south door in double- chamfered arch. To west of porch is a window of 3 lancet lights under a hollow-chamfered arch, to east two C14 3-light windows with flowing tracery and moulded hoods. Built into wall between the windows are 2 stone shields from a late medieval altar tomb and a fine late-C13 cross slab. North wall of nave has C19 studded door in old moulded arch, and at east end a restored C13 window of 2 lancet lights with a vesica over.

Chancel has a lower chamfered plinth and stepped buttresses at angles. South C19 studded door, in old chamfered arch, and three C14 3-light windows as in nave; the 5-light east window is late C19 re-using a few medieval pieces. North C13 2-light window like that on north of nave, but unrestored. Vestry has flat-faced 2-light mullioned window of c.1700 in architrave. Parapets were heightened by c.l metre in the late C19.

Interior: Chancel colour-washed. Double-chamfered chancel arch with hoodmould to nave, on moulded imposts. Shouldered doorway to vestry. Small piscina,with broken bowl, in chancel, adjacent to sedile formed by lowered windowsill; similar piscina in nave. Medieval stone altar slab. Important C13 and C14 stained glass in nave and chancel: in north windows C13 grisaille glass with heraldry, in south windows C14 Holy Trinity, Majesty, Virgin and Child (twice). St. James the Great, St. Bartholomew and angel musicians. At west end of nave several Pre-Conquest cross fragments and an Anglo- Scandinavian hogback, also medieval cross slabs and a low-relief half-effigy. On chancel floor an incised slab to John Forster, rector, c.1456; and three brasses to C15 and C16 members of Wycliffe family. Bequest board dated 1870 telling of C18 benefactor; repainted C18 Royal Arms, pater and text boards. Three C18 brass chandeliers. 1898 carved font. C20 fittings by Thompson of Kilburn, and 1963 coffered ceilings by William Whitfield. Two bells dated 1607 (not seen).

Listing NGR: NZ1167914325

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
111792
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/05029/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].