FINGLAND FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING BARN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1327125
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
FINGLAND FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING BARN

Map

Ordnance survey map of FINGLAND FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING BARN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327125 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 20:43:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
FINGLAND FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING BARN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Bowness
National Grid Reference:
NY 25471 57119

Details

NY 25 NE BOWNESS Fingland

6/28 Fingland Farmhouse & 11/4/67 adjoining barn

II*

Farmhouse now house. Probably late C17, with alterations dated 1735 and initials J.H. (John Hewson) over entrance. Clay walls on projecting stone plinth, repaired with cobbles and raised in height with brick, covered with painted render; C20 Welsh slate roof, rendered chimney stacks. Long-house with cross passage. 2 storeys, 3 bays; barn to right under common roof. 6-panel door in painted stone architrave, dated and inscribed entablature. Central ground floor 2-light stone-mullioned window with chamfered surround and hood mould; similar upper floor window without hood and with flat mullion. Flanking sash windows with glazing bars in C18 painted stone surrounds. Small fire window with chamfered surround to right. Interior: principal ground floor room has inglenook with stone heck partition, C19 cast iron range and spice cupboard recess to left. C17 moulded beans and built-in panelled cupboard. Powder horn dated 1691, was found sealed above one of the beams, during 1980s restoration. Roof: 2 C17 full crucks and 3 C18 upper crucks. Barn: blank front wall supported by 2 buttresses. Rear wall: plank cart entrance, slatted openings.

Listing NGR: NY2547157119

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
71906
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11652/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].