This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1330335



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cheshire East

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Congleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Apr-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55948

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1 5144 MILL STREET Buglawton SJ 86 SE SP/476 Flint Mill (central part of Higher Washford Mill) II 2. Perhaps originally a corn mill, later a silk mill, now a flint grinding mill (disused): late C18, extended in early and mid C19 with late C19 and earlier C20 machinery. Dressed coursed pink sandstone and English garden wall bond brick. Welsh slate roof. Square in plan. 3-storey and attic, 2-bay north river front. Stone ground storey stands on a base of large blocks and carries a breast shot cast-iron bucket waterwheel of c.18 ft diameter. To the left and on either side are segmentally arched openings to the original wheelpit now containing cast-iron gearing, controls and a 10 hp Gilkes water turbine of 1935. An informal wooden stair leads to a door in the ground storey and a large small pane window with wedged lintel. 2 similar windows in first floor of brick with stone quoins. Top storey all in brick has a line of 16-pane sashes with wedged stone lintels. South entrance front is similar with wooden stair to raised original doorway and an inserted loading bay. There are long wings to either side of former textile mills of no special interest. Interior: Floors of heavy wooden cross beams. Ground storey contains a complete set of flint grinding machinery, working commercially until 1958 and last operated in 1975. Principal items are a circular grinding pan of riveted iron sheets and with wooden paddles, driven by the wheel, wash tub of similar construction, and ball clay mill driven by the turbine. Small hoists and tubs on rails also survive. The drive was formerly carried to the upper storeys and into the adjacent mills for working textile machinery. The mill is first mentioned in Directories in 1828 when it housed a silk throw- sters. In 1864 it was occupied by William Webberly, flint, stone and bone grinder and in 1883 by Ford and Son, Potters Material Manufacturer.

Listing NGR: SJ8652563642

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 86525 63642


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1330335 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2017 at 03:38:02.

End of official listing