Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1334829.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:09:37.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Erewash (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 46105 35701



Parish church. 1593, built for Sir Michael Willoughby. 1841 north aisle and vestry added, also church restored and repaired. Ashlar and coursed squared stone with stone dressings, plinth and moulded eaves stringcourse to nave. Shallow pitched slate roofs are hidden by low parapets. West tower, combined nave and chancel, with large north aisle and vestry. West tower has two stages with upper one slightly corbelled out. The first stage is blank except for a small lancet to west but the second stage has Y-tracery, four-centred arched louvred bell openings in deeply chamfered surrounds with returned hoodmoulds, to all sides. Above, there is a moulded eaves stringcourse with blocking course above topped by chamfered copings, and each corner has a crocketed pinnacle. Between the tower and the north aisle is a slight gap. The west elevation of the aisle has stepped buttresses to either side of a central 3-light, four-centred arched window with cusped ogee headed lights and pierced spandrels, also with hoodmould, which has carved head stops. Above, the gable has ridgeback copings and a stone ridge cross. North elevation of aisle has two 3-light intersecting tracery four-centred arched windows with cavetto moulded mullions and surrounds, also with returned hoodmoulds. Attached to east is the vestry which has a flat headed 3-light window to east and, facing south, a four-centred arched doorcase with foliage labelstops to hoodmould and a plank door. East elevation of the chancel has angle buttresses to either side and a small central Y-tracery window with hoodmould. South elevation has two 3-light semi-circular headed windows with cavetto moulded mullions and surrounds, the originals of those copied on the north aisle. To the west of each window is a stepped full height buttress reaching to the top of the parapets. Beyond to west is the moulded, four-centred arched south door with its original studded wooden door and over, above a returned hoodmould is a carved stone plaque with dripmould which has the Willoughby coat of arms and the date '1593' carved on it. West end of nave has a stepped full height angle buttress and a blank west wall. Interior has a two bay 1841 arcade with wide, double chamfered, four-centred arches on octagonal piers and responds which have moulded capitals and bases. All roofs are C19. Tower arch is narrow with pointed arches on two different levels. The chancel is separated from the nave by a simple oak rood screen with nicely carved heads to the centre and ends of the top rail. The west end of the north aisle has a wide moulded four-centred arch through to the organ bay and the west end of the aisle has a small pointed door through to the vestry. The chancel has an early C18 column on vase baluster altar rail and two C19 painted commandment plaques to either side of the altar. Nave has 1841 plain pews and an octagonal wooden pulpit with a frieze of cusped ogeee headed openings to top. To the west end of the nave is an exceptional, late C16 alabaster font with moulded base, thick tapering stem with strapwork and an octagonal bowl with alternating crest and strapwork designs. Above the tower arch is a hatchment, probably of similar date, with the painted figures carved in relief. Memorials include a brass plaque in the chancel to Michael Willoughby who died Jan 1591, two slate and white marble wall memorials in chancel of c1859 and 1827 to John Hancock Hall, his wife and his children, and two more slate and marble memorials in the nave, one of 1928 and the other of c1843 to William Hodgkinson. There is also a simple slate memorial of c1798 to the wife of Joseph Cocker and two enamelled brass plaques to members of the Harrison family. To the west of the door is a large painting of Christ, dated 1842 and signed 'Kelazerges'. Chancel west window, the south nave windows and the tower lancet all have mid-C19 stained glass whilst the north aisle windows have stained glass of c1875 and c1918.

Listing NGR: SK4610535701


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16710/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr P. J. Nicholson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].