BISHOP'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1338212
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
BISHOP'S HOUSE, 800, WEST ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BISHOP'S HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1338212 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 01:37:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
BISHOP'S HOUSE, 800, WEST ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 19867 65670

Details

NZ 16 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE WEST ROAD (north side) 7/559 No. 800 (Bishop's House) (Formerly listed as East 14.6.54 Denton Hall) I House; R.C. Bishop's residence and offices since 1942. Dated 1622 for Anthony and Dorothy Errington on door lintel inscribed 16 AED22. Rubble sandstone with large irregular quoins and ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof; porch roof pantiled with stone slates at eaves; flat stone gable copings; coursed squared sandstone upper courses to rubble chimneys. U-plan. 3 storeys and attics, 4 bays, outer bays gabled. Porch at right of 3rd bay: Renewed round-arched door in raised panel with key and impost blocks and cornice; shaped gable, with 5 ball finials; date 1622 inscribed in gable peak. Double-chamfered stone-mullioned 4-light windows under continuous hood moulds, with relieving arches on ground floor; and 2-light windows in gable peaks. Single light at left of second bay on first floor; C19 bay window inserted on ground floor left. One external chimney stack at left return, one at rear and 2 on right return; 2 ridge stacks; double-span roof over left rear wing. Interior shows closed-well stairs; narrower stair in right wing; inserted chapel and large circa 1900 chimney piece in main ground floor-room: stepped ogee chamfer-stops on flat Tudor-arched door surrounds to stair and to servants wing from top floor, possibly long gallery. Carved stone chimney piece in principal first floor room; C18 doors, 5-panelled in principal rooms, 2-panelled elsewhere and boarded in servants wing; C18 chimney pieces in bedrooms; Panelled window shutters above boarding to lower section. Egg-and-dart dentilled and guilloche mouldings to first floor ceilings. Roof of collared coupled rafters with overlapping purlins. Historical note: in 1758 the house was inherited by Edward Montague, whose wife Elizabeth, the famous letter-writer, visited it annually. Source M. Hope Dodds History of Northumberland vol. XIII 1930 pp. 185-200; W.W. Tomlinson Denton Hall and its Associations 1893.

Listing NGR: NZ1987065677

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
304910
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Tomlinson, W W , Denton Hall and its Associations, (1893)
Dodds Hope, M, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parishes of Heddon on the Wall Newburn Long Benton Wallsend Chapelries Gosforth Cramlington Townships Benwell Elswick Heaton Byker Fenham Jesmond, , Vol. 8, (1930), 185-200

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03767/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].