THE SILK MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1338863
Date first listed:
29-May-1986
Statutory Address:
THE SILK MILL, BROOK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SILK MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1338863.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2020 at 23:27:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE SILK MILL, BROOK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Dacorum (District Authority)
Parish:
Tring
National Grid Reference:
SP 92533 11884

Details

SP 9211 11/51

TRING, BROOK STREET (West side), The Silk Mill

II

Silk textile mill complex, now light engineering factories. 1824 for William Kay who bought the Manor of Tring in 1823, run by his brother from Macclesfield but leased to David Evans & Co. after 4 years and worked up to 1898. Mill reduced to 3-storeys in early C20, and stair tower built against front in 2nd World War when floors strengthened by steel beams below old floors. Red brick with slate roofs, E front of W range now painted. A courtyard complex with tall W range 150 x 35ft originally of 5 floors but now of 3, lower S range of 2 and 3 floors 100 x 35ft, and the long single-storey E range facing the mill and backing onto Brook Street built to lodge children working in the mill, later used as offices and workshops. The N range has brick walls, timber floors of joists with boards below and above carried on heavy timber cross-beams linked by lesser beams, and pitched roof on re-used original wide-span queen-post timber trusses. Wide eaves soffit and projected verge both on shaped brackets and cantilevered purlins and wallplates. Close-spaced rows of uniform windows with gauged brick cambered arches and wooden small-paned recessed windows, some with central 1/3 a top-hung opening light. Step in W wall at vertical brick shaft perhaps for belting. Aqueduct runs at high level on W side of mill and an enclosed large iron waterwheel 22ft diameter and 6ft wide survives in situ at junction of W end S ranges. Lying E-W it revolved clockwise as viewed from N, has buckets, iron cross-bracing, and heavy 4-flanged iron axle. The drive is taken from a rack along the rim. S range has tall 2-storeys and basement hipped roof block at E end facing the road which is designed to appear as a 3-windows long symmetrical house in red brick with cambered gauged arches, stone sills, broad giant stucco pilasters at each end above plinth with paired brackets, single at each end. Recessed sash windows with 15/10 small panes and 3-centred gauged arch to central doorway with threshold 1m above pavement. Half-glazed door and 8-pane basement windows. This building has painted brick interior walls and a wide relieving arch across the rear wall where it adjoins a 2-storeys warehouse with wooden roof trusses and ground higher on S side so that it appears as single storey. The W part of the S range is a taller engine house with pilastered S wall, 5 windows in the N wall facing the yard, a glazed top-hamper to the iron framed roof, and massive vaulted base last used to support electrical generators but former square brick chimney to NW now demolished. When described in 1840 there was a 25hp steam engine and 16hp of water power, 500 pairs of hands consisting of 40 men, 140 women and 320 children. Gerald Massey the Chartist poet and prototype of Felix Holt in George Eliot's novel entered the mill here in 1836 aged eight. (Branch Johnson(1970)67-70, 177).

Listing NGR: SP9253311884

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
355688
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970), 67-70 177

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/14063/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].