ROTHAMSTED MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1347199
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
ROTHAMSTED MANOR HOUSE, HATCHING GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROTHAMSTED MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347199 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jun-2019 at 09:04:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROTHAMSTED MANOR HOUSE, HATCHING GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
St. Albans (District Authority)
Parish:
Harpenden Rural
National Grid Reference:
TL 12526 13169

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/01/2013

TL 11 SW 5/83 19.10.53

HARPENDEN RURAL HATCHING GREEN (west side) Rothamsted Manor House

(Formerly listed as Rothampsted)

GV I

Large manor house, now a hall of residence. Largely mid-C17 (payments for bricks 1648/9, 1653) for Sir John Wittewronge. Some C16 timber frame inside. Extended on NW for SirJohn Bennet Lawes in 1863. Interiors remodelled for Sir C.B. Lawes- Wittewronge c.1900-10. Dark red brick. Plain tile roofs. The C17 house is F-plan, the long part being the S range. The 2 wings on the NW had the recess between them enclosed in 1863 when the W range was extended by 2 bays. 2 storeys and attics. S range is double pile. 9 broad mullioned and transomed casements, all with original oak frames and leaded lights. Square 3- storeyed central porch-tower, flanked on the 1st floor by 1- window recesses. The 2 bays either side have wide shaped attic gables, the outer ones wider. Scrolled brick sides. Triangular and segmental pediments. Continuous moulded brick cornice. Plain 1st floor band. The ground floor windows have segmental- headed relieving arches. Doric style cut brick porch with bulging pilasters and simple entablature. Original oak door with moulded panels. At the S end is 1 bay of a loggia, formerly open, and returning for 3 bays on the S elevation. Chamfered arches in square relieving frames, the brick painted white. Above the porch are the arms of Wittewronge in a sunken panel, and at the top a C19 wooden and leaded Gothic style cupola. The W elevation is 5 windows, the 2 large windows on the N a remodelling of 1900 by T.G. Jackson. 3 elaborate cut brick gables on right have scroll-shaped sides and pediments, the middle one with Ionic pilasters flanking the attic windows. Gable pattern continued for 2 1863 bays. Cartouche in centre, dated 1665, was added in 1906. The E side forms an open courtyard, partly closed by the projecting bay of an L-shaped mid-C17 service wing on the N. This wing is timber frame with red brick infill, but has a mid-C18 facade towards the courtyard, with parapet, floor band and 5 C18 casement openings. Segmental arch to carriage way, the outer side with timber frame and adjoining C17 doorway. Main ranges of house have some C17 windows.

Interior: The hall has reused mid-C16 linenfold panelling, incorporating a frieze with heads, brought from Clare, Suffolk. Morning room to N of hall has stone fireplace from Rawdon House, Hoddesdon; white and black marble. Former dining room to S of hall has mid-Cl7 panelling with fluted Ionic pilasters. Beams plastered with running motifs. Stone Jacobean chimney piece. Behind panelling is a remarkably complete scheme of late C16 or early C17 wall paintings. Small room at S end of W range has C18 or C19 gilded wallpaper with painted flowers and good C16 chimney piece and overmantel. Large dining room beyond is in an extravagant 'Jacobethan' style. Linenfold panelling to doors and walls. Large central fireplace with black marbme columns and rich overmantel. Library wing at N end added in 1910 by V.T. Hodgson and incorporates the most elaborate fireplace from Rawdon House: grotesque caryatides of satyr and nymph,overmantel with scenes of satyrs playing musical instruments. Leading off from hall is a 1678 staircase. Open well. Tall shaped finials to newel posts; tapering balusters with arches between them. Walls from 1st floor to attic have painted relief of balustrade. Similar smaller staircase E of hall, also with some painted relief. The Pink Room on 1st floor has fireplace from Rawdon House with animal carvings in overmantel. Good C17 doorcase to main 1st floor landing. Another fireplace in The Brown Room. (RCHM (1910), Pevsner (1977), RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL1252613169

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163617
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].