THE LORDSHIP

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1348017
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
THE LORDSHIP, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE LORDSHIP
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348017 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:55:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE LORDSHIP, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Cottered
National Grid Reference:
TL 31898 29194

Details

TL 3129 COTTERED THE GREEN (south side)

5/15 The Lordship

19.10.51

GV I

Manor House. Early-mid C15 (probably for John Fray who held the manor 1428-1461: VCH (1912) 229), altered in early C17 (possibly by Edward Pulter between 1600 and 1608), chimney dated 1699, later modernizations when used as a farmhouse. Timber frame on low red brick sill, roughcast with steep old red tile roofs. W gable of hall refaced in brick. An irregular 2 storeys, former open hall and E crosswing house facing N with a 2-storeys C17 gabled porch inthe angle of the wings, tall 2-storeys Cl7 E extension on axis of hall and lower, slightly later, 2-storeys gabledNE wing projecting to front. Tall red brick C17 chimneys on rear wall of hall and E side of original crosswing - the latter with 2 tall diagonal shafts. Flush casement windows with mullions and leaded glazing renewed. E wing and porch are jettied to the front and the gables have dripboards across at eaves level. Interior shows complete arrangement of an unusually wide-span hall of 2-bays and cross-passage with spere truss, crown-post roof, and triple doorways in screens passage, the higher central doorway probably for a staircase to the great chamber at the N of the crosswing and a lesser S chamber. A hollow chamfered tie beam formerly supported a crown-post roof over the wing. W bay of hall probably floored over first. Crosswing remodelled c1600-08 with panelled parlour at front on ground floor, new chimney serving both floors, and wall paintings on the upper floor of elaborate classical scrollwork with grotesque profile masks in black line and grey, white and yellow. Triangular motifs decorate the close-spaced timbers between the vertical panels. Further service rooms were built on the E end. Hall finally floored over and large external S chimney built in late C18. Other special features include pilastered C17 fire surround with carved arcaded overmantle in ground floor parlour of crosswing and fine octagonal crown posts over hall large with moulded caps and bases, 4-way bracing and embattled moulding to crown-post of open-truss. A fine mid C15 manor house with original structure and early C17 wallpaintings. (RCHM (1911) 84: VCH (1912) 227-8: Pevsner (1977) 134: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3189829194

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
159869
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 229
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 134
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].