CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1348828
Date first listed:
17-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348828.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 14:54:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Weston under Penyard
National Grid Reference:
SO 63133 23235

Details

WESTON UNDER PENYARD

1429/5/106 CHURCH LANE

17-MAR-87 Church of St Lawrence

GV I

Church. C14 with late C12 arcade, C13 remains and some later additions. extensively restored 1867 by Street. Sandstone with roofs of stone slate and tile. Comprises a west tower, nave, lower chancel, north aisle under a pitched roof, north porch, and a south vestry added in 1867. The tower is mid-C14 and was restored in 1927. It has diagonal buttresses, a north- east stair turret, and an embattled parapet. The west window is of three trefoiled ogee lights with tracery under a pointed head. The bell openings are of two trefoiled ogee lights with an ogee quatrefoil under a pointed head. The south wall of the nave is of three bays and has C19 windows of two lights with plate tracery. To the right of the first bay is a restored C12 doorway with round head. The vestry has a window of four lancet lights, and a pointed doorway. The east wall of the chancel has C13 triple stepped lancets. In the north wall of the chancel are two lancets and, to the right, a C19 window of two lights. The east window of the north aisle is C19, of three lights with flowing tracery. Its north window is also C19, of two trefoiled ogee lights with quatrefoil. The north doorway is chamfered with rebuilt round head. The porch is timber-framed and has jowled posts with curved braces rising to a tie-beam. Interior: the tower arch is chamfered in three orders, the inner order springing from head-corbels. The arcade is of four bays, with round arches of two plain orders springing from round piers with capitals, alternately scalloped and carved with acanthus foliage. To the east of the east respond is a narrow pointed opening, said to be C19. The chancel arch is pointed and chamfered in two orders, the inner order dying into the responds. Over the nave is a scissor-rafter roof with a moulded plate attached at the intersection of the scissor-braces and with four tie-beams. Over the north aisles is a collar-rafter roof with four tie-beams. The chancel roof is C19 and has rafters with arch-braced collars. In the north wall of the chancel is an aumbrey, in the south wall double C19 sedilia. The east window contains late C19 glass depicting scenes from the life of Christ. Circa late C17 font [formerly situated in the churchyard], sandstone, cyma moulded bowl on round pier with moulded base. Wall tablets include one to Samuel Merrick and others of Bollitree (died 1723), framed by pilasters and with a shield and crest of arms.



Listing NGR: SO6313323235

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
155522
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].