CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1350147
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1969
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Sep-2002
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350147.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 17:17:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Martin Hussingtree
National Grid Reference:
SO 87678 59817

Details

SO 85 NE; 7/19

MARTIN HUSSINGTREE CP, MARTIN HUSSINGTREE

Church of St Michael and All Angels

14.03.69

GV

I

Parish church. C12 origins, rebuilt early C13, repaired and altered during early C15 and early C17, restored in 1868 and enlarged 1883. Coursed sandstone rubble, some sandstone ashlar refacing, plain tiled roof, parapets at gable ends with cross finials, timber-framed bell turret with shingled roof. Continuous nave and chancel of roughly five bays with a 3-bay south aisle, north porch and bell turret. Perpendicular style.

Nave and chancel: diagonal buttresses with offsets at west end; chamfered plinth runs around west, south and east eleva- tions and is returned round the north elevation and stops beneath the left jamb of the second window; moulded eaves cornice; west wall is probably of C12 masonry and has widened round-headed central window and two loopholes in gable apex; remaining fabric early C13; north elevation has an early C15 square- headed 3-light and 2-light window, the lights of which are ogee-arched and cusped, and, at the easternmost end, is an early C13 lancet; in the east gable end is a 3-light window with two-centred head and reset in the apex is a projecting semicircular date stone, carved in the form of a cowled head, with the date "1625" inscribed beneath, referring to the general repairs of that time and probably the east window beneath. At the east end of the south elevation is an unusual window of paired, cusped rectangular lights, set near the outside face of the wall, with a row of four square openings above pierced with quatrefoils, and possibly of early C14 date; at the west end of the south elevation is a 4-light late C19 window, square-headed with cusped, ogee-arched lights. Between these two windows lies the south aisle: added in 1883, 3 bays, with a separate roof, parapets at gable ends and moulded eaves cornice; the south elevation has a central 3-light window flanked by two 2-light windows all of similar design to the early C15 windows in the north elevation; at the east gable end is a narrow doorway with pointed arch, and the west gable end has a loophole in the apex. North porch: early C15, situated at the right end of the north elevation; gabled, timber-framed, rendered infill on coursed sand- stone rubble plinth; plain tiled roof and scalloped bargeboards; long, rectangular panels in side walls with paired, cusped lancets in central panels; doorway has plain, 4-centred arch. Bell turret: at west end of nave; square-based, weather- boarded sides with paired, rectangular louvred openings on lower part of north and south sides and a blind, traceried frieze beneath eaves of one row of cusped ogee-arched panels with a row of round-lobed quatrefoil panels above; shingled, pyramidal roof with swept eaves, ball finial and weathervane.

INTERIOR: 3-bay, double, wooden arcade to south aisle, having three pairs of parallel pointed arches, with a moulded cornice above, and supported on two pairs of intermediate octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases and on pairs of stone corbels at each end. Bell turret base on framework of four large posts jointed by two arch-braced tie beams, all of which are chamfered. Late C19 wagon roofs, decorated above altar with bosses of fleur-de-lys and rosette design. Late C19 altar rails, pulpit, pews and octagonal font on square base. C18 Parish chest in south aisle. Memorials: north wall has a mid-C18 memorial to Thomas Wood, died 1749, and his wife, died 1745; a late C17 memorial, the plaque flanked by pilasters with skull capitals and above a broken pediment containing a coat of arms; it commemorates Thomas Tomkyns, died 1675. Between the two is a late C18 memorial to Jane West, died 1793, by W Stephens. Jane West erected a tablet at the north-east end of the church to her first husband, the Reverend William Chapeau, died 1776 which also commemorates her brothers, and, opposite, at the south-east end a memorial to her parents, Sheldon Stephens, a former rector of Martin Hussingtree and Hindlip, died 1779 and his wife, Mary, died l781. To the right of this is a small oval cartouche on a skull corbel to Edward Wheeler, died 1784. At the south-west end of the Church is the Williams family memorial, an early C19, large, convex oval cartouche surmounted by a coat of arms. There is also an early C19 memorial in the south aisle to John Pigott, died 1828 and his wife, Elizabeth, died 1839. Late C19 stained glass in east and west end windows. (VCH; BoE).

Listing NGR: SO8767859817

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
147914
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11884/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].