CHURCH OF ST JAMES
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JAMES
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350155.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:14:47.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JAMES
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wychavon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 94287 57252
SO 95 NW; 6/178 (19/21)
HUDDINGTON CP; HUDDINGTON
Church of St James
(Formerly listed as Church of St Michael)
Parish church. C12 origins, partly rebuilt C14 and C15 with C16 alterations, restored late C19, possibly by George Gilbert Scott. Part lias limestone rubble with sandstone dressings, part sandstone ashlar, timber-framed bell turret and plain tiled roofs with parapets at gable ends. Three-bay nave with bell turret, south aisle and north porch, two-bay chancel. Decorated and Perpendicular styles.
Nave: C12 masonry in north and south walls, west end either rebuilt or refaced; north elevation has two buttresses with off- sets; west end has a 2-light C14 window and there are two similar windows in the north elevation and one in the south elevation; the east window of the north elevation has C19 tracery; at the west end of the north elevation is a C12 lancet; to the left of it is the C12 round-headed doorway which has a similar smaller opposing door in the south elevation; the jambs of both doors were chamfered in C14. The small bell turret has rendered infill and square 2-light louvred bell chamber openings; the pyramidal roof above has broad eaves and a cast-iron cross finial. The south aisle is of two bays with a separate roof and was added in C14; the east end window is C14 and the south and west windows are both C16 and square headed; all are of two lights; there is a stone chimney with off-sets at the junction of aisle and chancel. The north porch is C16, gabled and timber-framed on low C19 lias limestone side walls; the posts and tie beams of outer and inner gables are moulded and chamfered to form an ogee arch; the outer tie beam is brattished and above the bargeboards form a cinquefoiled arch with an ogee head; the open sides of the porch are divided by three moulded wood shafts and, above, the wall- plates are also moulded. Chancel: rebuilt late C15; faced with sandstone ashlar with a chamfered plinth, two diagonal buttresses with off-sets at the east end and a buttress with off-sets at the junction with the nave on the north side; 3-light east window and two square-headed 2-light windows in north and south elevations; the south elevation has a central blocked doorway with a 4-centred head and hoodmould with foliated stops.
INTERIOR: two-bay south arcade, C14 and possibly recut C17; piers are quatrefoil in section with hollowed re-entrant angles, moulded capitals and pointed arches are of two moulded orders. C16 wagon roofs, formerly plastered. Chancel has a defaced image niche surmounted by a shield either side of the altar; pointed-arched piscina supported on pilaster with chamfered angles; C17 altar table with spiral legs, mid-C17 altar rails and panelling made from former box pews; choir stalls are c1520 with linenfold panels. Jacobean rood screen with brattished rood beam and widely-spaced balusters; pews are probably C17; octagonal font with moulded base. South aisle has C15 tiles set on west wall, a blocked piscina in the south wall, an image bracket on the east wall, a C17 altar table and two parish chests, one of which is decoratively carved and probably late medieval. Memorials: in the south aisle is a wall memorial in black and white marble to Sir George Wintour, died 1658, with Corinthian columns and a coat of arms; in the chancel is a brass inscription tablet to Adrian Fortescue, died 1653, in a C20 wooden surround. Glass: south and west aisle windows contain fragments of C15 and C16 heraldic glass; east window of chancel has a restored Crucifixus with the Virgin and St John of the early C16. A small medieval church containing some good C17 fittings and C15 tiles.
Listing NGR: SO9428957252
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 412
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 199
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing