Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST STEPHEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351742 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 00:54:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Babergh (District Authority)
Bures St. Mary
National Grid Reference:
TL 91770 34441


Bures St Mary 1. 5377 Chapel of St Stephen (formerly listed as Chapel Barn) TL 9134 26/73 10.1.53. I

2. Originally a chapel said to have been erected by Abbot Sampson of Bury in the late C12 or early C13, on the site of the King Church where Edmund was crowned King of the Angles in 855. A stone rubble building with heavy buttresses on the south and east sides. There are 3 tall lancet windows in the east end and smaller lancets in the north and south walls. On the north side there is a gabled 2 storey entrance bay with exposed timber-framing and brick nogging on the 1st storey. The interior has 3 fine tombs of the De Vere family removed from Colne Priory, Earls Colne, Essex. One is to Robert de Vere, 5th Earl of Oxford (d 1296) has ogee arched niches on the sides. Another to Thomas de Vere, 8th Earl of Oxford (d 1371) also has ogee arched niches on the sides, and the third to Richard de Vere (d 1417) and his wife Alice is of alabaster. All the tombs have recumbent figures.

Listing NGR: TL9177034441


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15979/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T. P. C. Bramer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].