CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1351973

Date first listed: 10-Dec-1998

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, KIRKLEES STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351973 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 02:48:09.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, KIRKLEES STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bury (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SD7759713118

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 71 SE 326/5/10044

KIRKLEES STREET Tottington

Church of St John

II

Free Church of England church. 1853, alterations 1867; chancel added 1905. Graduated coursed gritstone, ashlar details; slate roof. A plain 6-bay church with coped gables; bellcote and possibly south window added 1867; north chancel of 1 bay with attached boiler house/ vestry, c1907. South front: 3 steps up to a pedimented porch supported by 4 moulded columns; paired entrances with flat lintels, the right entrance blocked. A large window of 3 stepped round-arched lights above; a small blocked vent and datestone (1867) at the apex of the gable which is surmounted by a round-arched bellcot with moulded coping and scrolled brackets. Left and right returns: plain surrounds to tall side windows; decorated tracery to the 4-light north window. Interior: cast-iron bars and tension rods form 5 unusual roof trusses which imitate the form of hammer-beams set on corbels between the windows. At the south end 2 cast-iron columns support a panelled gallery with entrance screen below. Plain moulded bench-pews with doors. The windows have leaded glass in a honey-comb pattern within a round-arched surround; stained glass windows include fine north chancel window, 1921 by Gustave Hiller of Liverpool. Organ installed 1921. Historical information: in 1849 Samuel Perry was appointed vicar to the Anglican church in Tottington. Members of the congregation, including churchwarden and local employer William Bowers, objected to the influence of the Catholic Revival which resulted in the celebration of festivals and the wearing of a surplice by the vicar. Adverse reactions to the Oxford Movement had resulted in the foundation of the Free Church of England in 1844 when Bridgeton Chapel was built in Totnes. At Tottington the plain style of the church reflects non-conformist chapels and local industrial buildings of the mid C19.

Listing NGR: SD7759713118

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 471809

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing