TOSTOCK OLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1352415

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1954

Statutory Address: TOSTOCK OLD HALL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOSTOCK OLD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352415 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 03:51:03.

Location

Statutory Address: TOSTOCK OLD HALL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Tostock

National Grid Reference: TL 96378 64006

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 96 SE TOSTOCK CHURCH ROAD

5/162 Tostock Old Hall 15.11.54

-- II

Former farmhouse and manor house. Late C16 or c.1600, with possible core of earlier C16, and remodelling of c.1850 in the Gothick manner. 2 storeys and attics. 3-cell cross-entry plan. 5 windows. Timber-framed and plastered: the upper floor is long-wall jettied. Plaintiled roof: 3 small gabled casement dormers of c.1850; two larger dormers have moulded tiebeams and are of late C16/early C17 origin: acorn drop finials, and at the apex are tall finials of elongated cage form in the C17 manner. Late C16 external gable chimneys of red brick with diaper patterning in burnt headers; triple octagonal shafts with original splayed capping bricks. A further stack at the rear with 3 similar shafts. Casements of c.1850: at 1st storey 2-light horizontally-sliding casements; small panes and diamond lights around the margin: moulded architraves. At ground storey are pairs of French windows of similar form. Original ovolo-mullioned windows at 3 levels at left-hand gable. Porch at cross-entry position, gabled with finials matching those at dormers. C20 glazed panelled inner door. Beneath the jetty are drop finials of, alternately, cage and acorn form. To rear is a C16/C17 staircase tower with a leaded glazed cross-window; another narrow wing to rear: various C19 additions at rear give a complete double-pile plan. The rear doorway at the cross-entry has a late C18/early C19 6-panelled door and fanlight with 4- centred arched head. Interior not examined: believed to have good internal features including: fine well staircase with turned balusters, c.1610; fine fully-panelled chamber with mantelpiece and arcaded panels of early C17; a number of leaden plaques about 6" in diameter, now fixed to the ceiling of C16 date, with Tudor roses, a portcullis and letters H and A, said to be for Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn. N.M.R.

Listing NGR: TL9637864006

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 281265

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing