Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1354033

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1955



Ordnance survey map of STOPHAM BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1354033 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 11:46:09.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Horsham (District Authority)

Parish: Pulborough

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: TQ0298318379


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


PULBOROUGH PETWORTH ROAD 1. 5404 Stopham Birdge TQ 01 NW 5/784 15.3.55


2. This is partly in former Chanctonbury Rural District and partly in former Petworth Rural District, as the River Arun, which it spans, is the boundary between them. There is considerable diversity of opinion about the age of this bridge. T W Horsfield's History of Sussex says that it was built in 1309. A A Evans in an article in the Sussex County Magazine in 1936 (Vol 10) gives the date as 1423. E Jervoise's "Ancient Bridges of the South of England" says that the original bridge was built in 1347 and that the present structure is a replacement dating from the C16. The correct date is probably 1422-3. One span was destroyed in the Civil War and replaced by a "drawbridge". This was fenced in 1650. The centre arch was raised in 1822 and has this date on it. It is built of ironstone and consists of a high segmental arch in the centre and 2 lower round-headed ones on each side. There are blunt cutwaters between the arches. These are continued above the water level on the south side as half hexagonal buttresses and form recesses of this shape for pedestrians on the Bridge. On the north side the cutwaters are continued the whole height of the bridge as cutwaters and form triangular recesses on the Bridge. The Bridge was badly damaged by Army lorries during the war but has been repaired since. A.M.

Listing NGR: TQ0298318379


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 298597

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Horsfield, TW , A History of Sussex, (1827)
Jervoise, E, The Ancient Bridges of the South of England, (1930)
'Sussex County Magazine' in Sussex County Magazine, , Vol. 10, (1936)

End of official listing