ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355548
Date first listed:
08-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY, AVON DASSETT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355548.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 17:04:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY, AVON DASSETT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Avon Dassett
National Grid Reference:
SP 41021 49962

Details

AVON DASSETT AVON DASSETT ROAD SP44NW (East side) 4/14 Roman Catholic Church of St. Joseph and attached presbytery

GV II

Roman Catholic church and attached presbytery. 1854. By Myers. Coursed squared ironstone. Concrete tile roofs; tower and presbytery have slate roofs; coped gable parapets with kneelers and decorated crosses. Nave, chancel, south chapel and north-west porch tower. Gothic Revival style. Chamfered lancets throughout. 1 bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Chancel has diagonal buttresses with 2 offsets. East window of 3 stepped lancets. North window of paired lancets. Small polygonal projection in north west angle. Nave has buttresses with 2 offsets. 3 windows to north and south sides. West front has splayed plinth. South diagonal buttress. Window of 3 stepped lancets with continuous hood mould. Splayed sill course. West door in tower has deep splayed arch and simple hood mould. Double-leaf door. Tower of 2 stages. Splayed plinth and angle buttresses with 2 offsets. Lancet with hood mould above door. North side has lancet. Square projection in north-east angle. Deep splay to second stage. West front has 2 lancets with clock above and between. Other sides have single lancet. Moulded cornice, taken up as arch above clock. Steep bell-cast pyramidal roof with lead flashing and decorated iron cross. South-east chapel has east window of paired lancets. Single south lancet. Interior: arches of 2 chamfered orders without imposts throughout. Chancel has arch to chapel. Segmental-pointed arch and stairway to pulpit. Scissor-braced roof. Nave has scissor-braced roof with wall posts and corbels. Chapel of 2 bays with arch between. Coupled rafter roofs, running east-west in sanctuary, but north-south in outer bay. Piscina with trefoiled lancet and moulded bowl. Fittings: finely carved and moulded Early English style reredos and altar, with 2 reliefs and stiff-leaf capitals; altar has 4 shafts. Pulpit in north-east corner of nave, entered from chancel, is of stone: 3 sides of octagon, each panelled with quatrefoil with subsidiary cusps. Font of moulded plaster has compound shaft and moulded frieze. Stained glass: complete set of windows, attributed to Hardman (Pevsner). The presbytery is attached on the south side. T-plan, with cross wing on right. 2 storeys; 2-window range. Lean-to porch in angle has chamfered cambered arched doorway and plank door with decorative iron hinges. Wing has paired lancets on ground floor. Paired shouldered arched lights with cambered relieving arch on first floor. Blind trefoil in gable. Main range has large external stack with 4 offsets and large, deep blind arch; 2 chamfered squared shafts with moulded cornices, Lancet to left on first floor. Right return side has lateral stack; shaft rebuilt in brick, 2-storey, 2-window lean-to wing. To rear: wing has 2-light windows. Lean-to range flush with front. The founder was Joseph Knight. Myers was A.W.N. Pugin's builder. Pevsner questions whether he was the architect. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.80; Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1892, p.26).

Listing NGR: SP4102149962

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
306123
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 80
'Kellys Directory' in Warwickshire, (1892), 26

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08548/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].