FORMER QUEEN ELIZABETH OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL AND ADJOINING SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1356228

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: FORMER QUEEN ELIZABETH OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL AND ADJOINING SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE, BOARSHAW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER QUEEN ELIZABETH OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL AND ADJOINING SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356228 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 06:03:10.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER QUEEN ELIZABETH OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL AND ADJOINING SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE, BOARSHAW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rochdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 87412 06354

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MIDDLETON BOARSHAW ROAD SD 80 NE (south-east side) Former Queen 2/4 Elizabeth Old Grammar School 15/3/57 and adjoining schoolmaster's House (formerly listed as Queen Elizabeth Old Grammar School) - II* Grammar school and schoolmaster's house. 1586 with house added between 1835 and 1839. Squared rubble and brick respectively with graduated stone slate roofs. The hall is open to the roof except for first floor chambers at each end which were domestic accommodation for the master and an usher. Each chamber has a small stair wing which projects at the rear. The 2-storey master's house adjoins at the rear of the right stair wing. Near-symmetrical elevation with central Tudor-arched door, a projecting plinth and stone quoins. The schoolroom is lit at front and rear by two 5- light double-chamfered stone mullion and transom windows and two 4-light mullion windows. The first floor chambers have smaller 3-light mullion windows. All retain leaded casements and a hoodmould continues round the entire building. Dressed stone gable chimney stacks with cornices. 4-light window to each floor of each gable. The stair wings project and are gabled, each having a Tudor-arched door. The master's house has 4 horizontally sliding sashes on 2 elevations and a door in the rear gable at first floor level. Interior: through purlins with wind braces supported on collar and tie-beam roof trusses. A later gallery links the two chambers. The building is an important early example of a building type for which there was little architectural precedent. R.S. Paul and W.J. Smith, A History of Middleton Grammar School 1412-1964, 1965.

Listing NGR: SD8741206354

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213444

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Smith, W J , A History of Middleton Grammar School 1412-1964, (1965)

End of official listing