OLD BENT HOUSE AND BENT HOUSE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1356234

Date first listed: 02-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: OLD BENT HOUSE AND BENT HOUSE FARMHOUSE, HALIFAX ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD BENT HOUSE AND BENT HOUSE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356234 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 05:51:22.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD BENT HOUSE AND BENT HOUSE FARMHOUSE, HALIFAX ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rochdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 94624 17012

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 91 NW LITTLEBOROUGH HALIFAX ROAD (north-west side)

1/28 Old Bent House and Bent House Farmhouse (formerly listed 2/1/67 as Old Bent House)

G.V. II* House. "IMS 1691" (John and Mary Scott) on door and porch lintels but with C19 and C20 additions. Hammer-dressed stone with graduated stone slate roof. 3-unit double-depth plan with 4 bays and 2 storeys. Quoins and projecting plinth. Single-storey porch has moulded door surround, segmental-arched lintel, enriched spandrels and date inscribed above, and a parapet which forms a crude but classically derived entablature. Three 6-light ground floor windows have double-chamfered mullions and hoodmoulds. 4, 4, 2 and 4-light chamfered windows on first floor. Many windows retain original leaded lights and vertical iron bar. Coped gables with kneelers. Chimneys have moulded bands. 2, 3 and 4-light mullioned windows and later sash windows to sides and rear. Later additions to left, later porch to right and a single storey early C18 addition to rear right. Interior: the rear right room (kitchen) has a gable-end door of studded oak with the initials IS carved on it. The room is sheltered by a plank and muntin screen and as well as a C17 well cupboard with carved doors and butterfly hinges has a bolection-moulded fire surround with coved cornice mantel. First floor cupboard with H-hinges and "MS 1692" carved at head. A well-preserved house retaining many of its original fittings. The double-depth plan is of a particularly early date for the house of yeoman farmer. W.J. Smith, "A Place in History", Pennine Magazine, Vol.6, No.3.

Listing NGR: SD9462417012

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213362

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Pennine Magazine' in Number 3, , Vol. 6, ()

End of official listing