CHAPEL OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1357540
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1989
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST PETER AD VINCULA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357540 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 12:11:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Tower Hamlets (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 33560 80598

Details

THE TOWER OF LONDON TQ 3380 21/889 Chapel of St Peter-ad- Vincula

GV I

Chapel. c.1519-20, restored 1876-7 when west tower rebuilt and north-east vestry built. Render over ragstone with ashlar quoins and dressings; lead roof. Plan of chancel and nave with north aisle. Early Tudor style. 5-bay south elevation has hood-moulds over 3-light Tudor-arched windows with cinquefoil-headed lights; similar windows to north elevation; similar 5-light east window; moulded cornice beneath parapet with moulded coping; west end has late C19 quatrefoil window over late C19 Tudor-arched doorway and flint tower with Portland stone dressings and late C17 wood bell cupola. 1876-7 vestry built in similar Tudor style. Interior: 4-bay north arcade of quatrefoil-section piers with moulded plinth and capitals to moulded Tudor-arched arcade; moulded beams to flat tie-beam roofs. Nave has squint and round-arched piscina with sunk spandrels to west, and octagonal font with quatrefoil panels. Memorials: sanctuary has late C19 memorial to those executed on Tower Green and C17/18 memorial slabs. Memorial of c.1650 to children of George Payler has figures set in oval niches; memorial to Allan Apsley, d.1630, has cartouche on segmental open-pedimented aedicule; plain memorial tablet to Talbot Edward, d.1674; memorial tablet with bust to General William Bridges, d.1716, with bust in aediculed surround; fine alabaster and marble memorial of c.1620, with groups of kneelers set in classical frame, to Sir Richard and Sir Michael Blount, in north wall of chancel; fine alabaster tomb chest with recumbent effigies to Sir Richard Cholmondley, d.1544, and wife; memorial to Captain Valentine Pyne, d.1677, flanked by cannon instead of columns with relief carving of ship to base. Fine monument to John Holland, Duke of Exeter, d.1447 (transferred from St Katherin's Chapel, Regent's Park) has tomb chest with 3 recumbent effigies framed within fine Perpendicular canopy with angles to spandrels and frieze, various beasts and grotesques and carved heads to cusping. Organ by Father Schmidt, 1699, for the Banqueting Hall, Whitehall. History: formerly a parish church of the city taken within the castle walls by the extensions of Henry III; a rare example of an early C16 chapel.



Listing NGR: TQ3356080598

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
206504
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13866/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Jennie Anderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].