PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1358852
Date first listed:
10-May-1974
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANN, ST ANN'S ROAD N15

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358852 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 04:12:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANN, ST ANN'S ROAD N15

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Haringey (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32824 88674

Details

TQ 3288 ST ANN'S ROAD N15 (North side) 800/35/222 Parish Church of St Ann

10.05.74

GV II*

Church. 1861 by Thomas Talbot Bury. Snecked rubblestone with ashlar dressings; slate roofs. Plan of nave, aisles, south-west porch-steeple, north and south transeptal chapels and apsed chancel with north chapel. Second pointed style. EXTERIOR: 3-stage tower with stepped angle buttresses. Gabled entrance to south, with undercut mouldings. Lower stage with one 2-light west window, ringing chamber with triple trefoiled lancets under hood moulds, the outer ones blind. Twin lancets to bell chamber, with cusped quatrefoil vesicas over a trefoiled lights. Broached stone steeple with two tiers of lucarnes, the lower ones with 2-light tracery. Top of steeple damaged by barrage balloon in World War II; rebuilt 1954-5 by J. Barrington-Baker. Nave with 5-light west window with Geometric Decorated tracery. Aisles with 3 3-light Decorated windows (4 to north aisle). Clerestory of 3 groups of twin lancets (4 on north side) separated by pilaster strips. Transeptal chapels each with angle buttresses and 2 2-light Geometric windows to lower stage and a wheel window in the gable head. Apse with 5 2-light windows with trefoiled lights below cinquefoiled vesicas. INTERIOR: 4-bay nave arcade of quatrefoil piers with seaweed capitals supporting arches with one chamfered and one sunk-quadrant mouldings. Wide moulded chancel arch on bundled piers. Clerestory windows with rere arches, and each with additional paired lancets to east and west bays, the former opening into transepts, the latter blind on south side. Arch-braced roof, the arches with a trefoil profile, collars and 2 tiers butt purlins and ridge piece. Y-braces from collars to purlins. Lean-top aisle roofs with purlins. Apse with arcaded stone dado consisting of trefoil arches supported on engaged columns and surmounted by crocketed gablets with panelled crocketed finials between them. Reredos of 3 cinquefoiled gablets with similar decoration containing monochrome depiction of Jesus in House of Simon, by Cornelius Durham. Engaged stone columns rise between windows to foliate carved capitals on which are wall posts for the radial trefoiled roof timbers. Twin engaged columns to the transept chapel entrances, with seaweed capitals and wide flat pointed arches carved with busts of saints bearing scrolls set on a foliate background. Above the arches are 2 roundels with high-relief carvings of saints. North chancel chapel with dado panelling. FITTINGS: arcaded stone altar rails with marble top rail. Caen stone pulpit decorated with carved Geometric tracery designs, each facet separated by a projecting stepped buttress. By Mr Gomm, the foreman of the work. Marble balustrade to steps added 1928. Octagonal font with quatrefoils containing a bird, shields and foliage. Stained glass in west window and apse windows by William Wailes of Newcastle, 1861.



Listing NGR: TQ3282488674

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
201477
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/02553/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Quentin Ball. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].