ST MICHAEL'S COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1358910

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1955

Statutory Address: ST MICHAEL'S COTTAGE, 1,2 AND 3

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MICHAEL'S COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358910 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 11:29:53.

Location

Statutory Address: ST MICHAEL'S COTTAGE, 1,2 AND 3

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Ilsington

National Park: DARTMOOR

National Grid Reference: SX 78508 76138

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ILSINGTON ILSINGTON SX 77 NE 3/124 Nos. 1, 2 and 3 St Michael's 23.8.55 Cottages

GV II*

Row of 3 cottages, formerly the church house. Early C16, restored 1938. Built of a mixture of slatestone and granite rubble with quoins of large dressed granite blocks; details also in granite. Slated roof. Large granite chimneystack with offsets and tapered top, projecting from front wall off centre to left. On right- hand gable a large granite ashlar stack with tapered top. On left-hand gable a smaller granite stack, also with tapered top. Original plan almost certainly had 3 rooms in the ground storey with opposing front and back doors at the right-hand end of the central hall; there is no evidence of a through-passage. No.1 now has the inner room and upper end of the hall, No.2 the rest of the hall, and No.3 the kitchen. The upper storey probably consisted of a single long room entered by an outside staircase at the right-hand end of the front wall. There is some evidence of an internal staircase beside the kitchen stack, and a shallow projection behind the inner room that may have been a garderobe. 2 storeys. 5-window front; the windows all have early C20 wood casements with 6 or 8 panes per light. In the ground storey No.2 has a moulded granite doorway with a 4-centred arch having carved spandrels, the original entrance to the hall. To the right of it No.3 has a chamfered granite doorway with a 4-centred arch, the original entrance to the kitchen. At the left-hand end the doorway of No.1 also has a 4-centred arch, but this is probably a C19 insertion. There is a continuous stringcourse at sill-level in the second storey, stopping just short of the former doorway at right-hand end, now converted into a window; doorway has moulded granite surround with 4-centred arch. Rear wall facing churchyard has casement windows matching those at the front. Original rear doorway, opposite the front door of No.2, has chamfered granite surround with segmental arch; now blocked and window inserted. At right-hand (north) end, behind No.1, is a shallow projection rising to eaves level and having a pent roof of stone slabs; it may have been a garderobe. Interior: former hall (now sub-divided, the main part in the 2 ground storey rooms of No.2, the remainder in the right-hand room of No.1) has broad chamfered upper- floor beams with run-out and straight-cut stops (it is sometimes difficult to be certain which was intended); chamfered joists with step-stops. Above the left-hand end-wall in No.1 is the head-beam of a plank-and-muntin screen with hollow and three-quarter-round mouldings; studs appear to have been removed. In front wall (at No.2) is a large blocked fireplace with wooden lintel. Inner room (in No.1) has plain joists running lengthways (no beam). Small gable-fireplace with mutilated wood lintel. Former kitchen (in No.3) has also been sub-divided; it has upper floor beams like those in the hall, but with plain joists. Very wide, deep gable- fireplace, mostly blocked, with cambered and chamfered wood lintel having immediately above it a relieving arch following the line of the camber. No visible features in upper storey. Roof has 10 side-pegged jointed-cruck trusses, including 2 gable trusses; butt purlins, cranked collars. The top of the curved part of the cruck projects slightly and is rounded. Not possible to see if the ridge-piece is original. No evidence of original partitions. No smoke-blackening. Building converted into a Poor House in C18 and sold by the Parish for conversion into private dwellings in 1839. Source: guide to St Michael's Church, Ilsington.

Listing NGR: SX7850576145

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 439507

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing