GRANGE DE LINGS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1359448
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
GRANGE DE LINGS HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRANGE DE LINGS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359448 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 14:02:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
GRANGE DE LINGS HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Grange De Lings
National Grid Reference:
SK 98699 77283

Details

SK 97 NE GRANGE DE LINGS

4/10 Grange de Lings House (fomerly listed as 30.11.66 The Grange) I

Former monastic grange now incorporated into later farmhouse. C13, C14, C19 with C20 alterations. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, hipped slate roof with 3 brick stacks. 2 storey, 4 bay front with off-centre C20 half glazed door with hood, flanked by single C20 4 light windows. To first floor a 3 light window is flanked by 4 similar 4 light openings. To the left of the facade is a pointed window with C20 Y tracery. In the facade is evidence of blocked openings obscured by later work. In the left hand side front the remains of a turning stair can be seen and a deeply splayed single light, the splay being on the outer face. Interior. At the left hand end is a small vaulted room with a C13 pointed window with a single chamfered rear arch, opposite this is a matching single chamfered opening, now leading to a later room. At the corner of the window wall is a turning stair, the threshold to which is 4'0" below the current floor level, opposite this is a segmental headed opening with single chamfer. The room has a C14 quadripartite vault, comprising 2 hollow mouldings and a central filleted roll moulding. The ribs spring from triple shafted responds with naturalistic foliage and meet at a central boss which has since disintegrated. On the inner eastern wall the responds support an arch with 2 filleted roll mouldings with central roll. In the floor beneath the suspended timber floor is a small area of plain floor tiles, black and yellow. In the hall of the current farmhouse the moulded reveal of a large window can be seen. In the bedroom over, the upper part of a reticulated traceried window is preserved, and the top is visible in the roof space over. The C19 roof reuses C17 timbers. Grange de Lings is a corruption of Grange de Barlings Abbey, and the medieval work is an important survival of a grange building, the function of which is not as yet understood. The monks were granted a free warren in 1253 and the grange is mentioned in patent rolls in 1325. Source: F. L. Baker, the History of Riseholme. 1956.

Listing NGR: SK9869877284

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196882
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Baker, F L, History of Riseholme

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/07719/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger H Mockford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].