CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST AND MONSON MAUSOLEUM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1359493
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST AND MONSON MAUSOLEUM, NORTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST AND MONSON MAUSOLEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359493 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 23:51:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST AND MONSON MAUSOLEUM, NORTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
South Carlton
National Grid Reference:
SK 95084 76671

Details

SK 97 NE SOUTH CARLTON NORTH STREET (north side)

5/67 Church of St.John the 30-11-66 Baptist and Monson Mausoleum

G.V. I

Parish church and Mausoleum. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, 1851 mortuary chapel by Watkins, 1859 remodelling and restoration of church by Teulon. Coursed limestone rubble, banded slate roof. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north chapel with mortuary chapel beyond. 2 stage tower, tall lower stage with belfry, moulded plinth, string course and hipped slate roof. C18 sundial to south side. West wall has a single C16 4 centred arched window with sunk spandrels, with above a single chamfered segmental headed light. The belfry has 2 light ogee cusped headed lights under flat hood moulds to each side. West wall of north aisle has a C19 2 light window. North aisle wall has 3 C19 lancets. West wall of mortuary chapel has a central 4 centred arched doorway with a segmental moulded head surround with base blocks and broad architrave, over the door is a coat of arms. Above the door a 5 light window with brattished transome set in a 4 centred concave moulded arch with hood mould rising to an ogee point beneath a pinnacle supporting a cross fleury at the gable and flanked by angled shafts rising from angel corbels and terminating in castellated finials. To either side of the front, buttresses contain niches with nodding ogee heads. The north side is blank except for the frieze at high level which contains 3 ogee headed vents. The east end of the mortuary chapel has a niche with elaborate pinnacled canopy. The north chapel east wall contains 2 C19 2 light windows with ogee heads to the lights. C14 chancel east window of 3 lights, with curvilinear tracery. Chancel south wall has 3 C19 lancet windows and a blank niche beneath. The south wall of the aisle has 2 c19 geometric 2 light windows. C19 south porch with stone base supporting open sided timber structure with gabled roof and figured bargeboard. South door is C19, moulded with hood mould and label stops. Interior. The north and south arcades of 3 bays, early C13 north arcade has one circular pillar with keeled rosy?ends and double chamfered arches, elaborate label stops to hood mould. The 3rd bay to the east also has keeled responds and double chamfered arches with hood mould and ammonite label stops. The early C14 south arcade has octagonal piers and plain C19 responds. The capitals are octagonal with ball decoration on the undersides, double chamfered arches. C12 tower arch is round headed with chamfered imposts and plastered reveals, but on the west side an earlier C13 2 centred arch can be seen above it indicating that the tower arch is reset. In the north wall of the chancel is an early C13 arch into the north chapel with keeled responds and double chamfered arch. The roof over the nave and chancel. are C19 elaborately carved crown posts with painting above the chancel. Fittings. The C16 wood screen with central 4 centred arch with carving of sun and moon in the spandrels and painted heraldic shields over; semi-circular heads to the lower panels, ogee heads to the upper with bilobes and fleurons on the midrail and cornice. In the sanctuary 2 contemporary choir stalls with elaborately cusped blank arcading and poppy head bench ends. There are also 4 other poppy heads. In the sanctuary a C17 altar table with turned legs. Otherwise altar rails, pulpit and font are all C19. In the nave hang 5 hatchments to the Monson family. Monuments: in the north chapel, behind a screen of wrought iron railings, on the north side of chancel, an elaborate alabaster and marble tomb to Sir John and Lady Monson, 1625, by Nicholas Stone. A free standing 6 poster with effigies of the deceased in plate armour reclining with his wife on embroidered cushions, a large tomb chest with 9 kneeling weepers at the sides and foot. 6 Doric columns support an elaborate scrolled and raised pediment containing a Latin inscription on the south side. Also in the north chapel are fragments of 2 C13 cross fleury decorated tomb stones, the matrix for a C16 brass and other fragments of statuary. In the chancel north wall an C18 marble plaque to Thomas Carlton with arms above and crossed palm leaves beneath. In the Mausoleum a monument to the 6th Lord Monson, d.1864, by Bartolini and Bencini, a copy of a monument in the Annunciata in Florence, set on a high plinth in a neo-mid-C18 style with above a big coat of arms with lush foliage.

Listing NGR: SK9508676672

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
197029
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/05613/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robin W. Symons. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].