WELBOURN MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1360567
Date first listed:
19-Nov-1951
Statutory Address:
WELBOURN MANOR, BECK STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360567.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-May-2021 at 05:45:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
WELBOURN MANOR, BECK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Welbourn
National Grid Reference:
SK 96637 53982

Details

WELBOURN BECK STREET SK 95 SE (west side)

4/45 Welbourn Manor 19.ll.51

GV II*

Small country house. Early C14, C15, C17 and heavily restored 1904, Coursed and dressed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs, with ashlar coped gables with finials. 2 external, a single ridge and 3-gable moulded ashlar stacks. 2-storey plus garrets. H plan with central hall and cross wings. East front has off-centre projecting porch with a recessed and moulded 4-centred arched doorway with half glazed C20 door. Above a coat of arms inscribed '1904' with drip mould and moulded band over, the whole topped with coped battlements. Above a single 4-light recessed a chamfered mullion window, under a dripmould. To the left a small C20 timber and stone extension. Below to the right a single recessed and chamfered transom window, and then a very large 4 x 4 light transom and mullion hall window. The projecting cross wing to the left has a 6-light recessed and chamfered cross mullion window with above a similar 5-light mullion window under a drip mould, above again a similar single light window. The projecting cross wing to the right has a 5-light recessed and chamfered cross mullion window, with above a similar 4- light mullion window under a drip mould, above again a similar single light window. South front has a large external stack to the right supported on re- used medieval corbel heads. To the left a single 2-light recessed and cham- fered mullion window, with beyond a similar 2-light and then a 5-light cross mullion window. Above a single 2-light and to the left two 3-light recessed and chamfered mullion window. Attached to the south-east corner is a single storey extension with a hipped roof and various mullion windows, beyond to the east is a coped brick wall with a rubble stone archway and wrought iron gate. West front is of 8 irregular bays, under 5 irregular gables, with 2 doorways and various early C20 cross mullion windows. To the north-east is a 5 bay 2-storey extension c.1965 of no special interest. INTERIOR: Pointed archway from hall to solar , with single shafts and a heavily moulded arch early C14. In the right cross wing is a fine C15 moulded 4-centred arched fireplace. The remaining interiors have various Elizabethan Revival fire- places, plaster ceilings and panelling, all of 1904. The roof timbers are mostly C17, using a simple collar beam roof construction.

Listing NGR: SK9663753982

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192483
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jan 2007
Reference: IOE01/14869/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].