CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1361634
Date first listed:
11-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, GOOSNARGH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361634.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:28:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, GOOSNARGH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Preston (District Authority)
Parish:
Goosnargh
National Grid Reference:
SD 55951 36922

Details

SD 53 SE GOOSNARGH GOOSNARGH LANE

5/48 Church of St. Mary 11.11.1966 GV II*

Church, late medieval, altered or enlarged in late C16, restored 1868-9 and 1895. Mostly large sandstone rubble, slate roof (1868-9) with a 2 dormers on south and 3 on north side. West tower, nave with full-height north and south aisles, chancel. Three-stage tower, with full-height south-east stair turret and diagonal 6-stage west buttresses, has on west side a round-headed chamfered doorway with hoodmould, a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery; on west and south sides diamond-shaped clock faces; and on all sides 3-light lourved belfry windows with Perpendicular tracery, and an embattled parapet. Low buttressed south aisle of 4 bays, probably late C16, has a gabled porch to the 1st bay, and a recessed square-headed window of 2 round-headed lights with hollow spandrels in each of the other 3 bays; north aisle is late medieval, and has a blocked doorway to the lst bay and 3 windows, all of 2 lights but otherwise differing: the first 2 have cinquefoil lights, the other has pointed lights of C14 type; and at the east end of this aisle is a flush window of 3 round-headed lights (the chancel wall adjoining has a similar 2-light window). The chancel has a recessed 5-light east window with a transom at the springing and the lights round-headed above and below this; on the south side a priest door, a segmental-headed window to the right with a central cinquefoil and flanking trefoil headed lights, and a 2-light window to the left like those in the south aisle. Interior: north arcade of 6 pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders carried on octagonal piers and responds with plain moulded capitals and bases, south arcade similar but only 5 arches; roof of roughly-hewn ties and principals with angle struts and arch-braced collars, except the truss at the junction with the chancel which has a crown post and decorative framing; chancel roof of roll-moulded beams supported by short wallposts on corbels; at east end of north aisle a wooden screen to the Middleton Chapel, with turned balusters in the upper part and a door in the west side, the top rail carved and lettered on the west side "TR 1721" and on the south side "AR 1622" (Thomas and Alexander Rigby); within this enclosure an elaborately carved C15 tombstone; in tower arch another wooden screen with turned balusters on the top, and a central door lettered "RC IL II JW 1678" (formerly part of rood screen). References: VCH Lancs: Fishwick Goosnargh pp. 10-25. A. Hewitson Our Country Churches and Chapels Preston 1872, pp. 70-77.

Listing NGR: SD5595136922

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
185895
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1911)
Fishwick, , Goosnargh, (1871), 10-25
Hewitson, A , Our Country Churches and Chapels, (1872), 70-77

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].