CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366911.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 14-May-2021 at 02:48:05.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 46934 18353
BOMERE HEATH C.P. LEATON
SJ 41 NE
6/92 Church of the
- Holy Trinity
Parish church. 1859 by Samuel Pountney Smith of Shrewsbury for John Arthur Lloyd, and steeple dated 1871 (at rear), by the same architect for Charles Spencer Lloyd. Tooled yellow/grey Grinshill sandstone ashlar with smooth ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs. 5-bay nave with south porch and north aisle, 2-bay chancel with family pew to south and 2-bay north chapel, and north-west steeple. Lancet Gothic style. Chamfered plinths and string courses, continuous hoodmoulds, gabled angle buttresses with chamfered corners and offsets, chamfered and moulded eaves and parapeted gable ends with copings, gabled kneelers, and crosses at apices. Much dogtooth ornament. Nave: paired chamfered lancets with continuous hoodmould. South doorway in second bay from west with 2 arches, the inner with continuous hollow chamfer and the outer moulded and springing from shafts with stiff-leaf capitals.; hoodmould with carved stops, and pair of boarded doors. Gabled porch with flanking flush buttresses, carved stone gargoyles and archway of 2 orders, the inner moulded and springing from shafts and the outer continuously moulded, and hoodmould with carved stops. Chamfered lancets to sides and interior with side benches. West end: central flying buttress running up to diagonally-placed square bellcote at apex of gable, with squinches, quatre- foil panels and semi-blind lancets to base, trefoil-headed arched openings, buttresses at angles, carved frieze and short spire with cross at apex. Chamfered lancets flanking buttresses with continuous hoodmould. Cham- fered Caernarvon-arched boarded doorway in angle to left. 2 chamfered rectangular staircase windows to left. Lean-to 4-bay north aisle with chamfered lancets, and moulded-arched doorway set in gabled projection to left, consisting of one order of shafts with stiff-leaf capitals and hoodmould with carved stops. Chancel with chamfered lancets. East end with stepped triple lancets; each has nook shafts with stiff- leaf capitals, chamfered arches, and continuous hoodmould with carved stops. Gabled former family pew with stone ridge stack consisting of square base, circular shaft with 4 arched openings at top, and trefoil- headed gable above each.Spheric-triangular window in gable with 3 quatre- foils in plate tracery, ground-floor chamfered lancet to left, boarded door to right with chamfered reveals and hoodmould, and central chamfered quatrefoil opening to basement. Right-hand return front with chamfered lancet and chamfered segmental-arched basement door with steps down. North chapel with chamfered lancets. Trefoiled circular window in gable to west. Steeple: 4-stage tower. Double-chamfered plinth, string courses, diaper band between second and third stages with quatre- foils in lozenges, angle buttresses with chamfered offsets and gabled tops. Corbelled parapet with cusped chamfered arches on carved foliate brackets, moulded parapet string with central carved gargoyle to each face, and battlemented parapet with moulded coping. Square corner pinnacles with chamfered corners, quatrefoil frieze, spirelets, and flying buttresses to crocketed spire; crocketed louvred lucarnes to cardinal faces with pierced trefoils in spandrels and trefoil arches on shafts with stiff-leaf capitals; smaller trefoiled lucarnes above and small blind lucarnes on shafts above buttresses to angled faces. Paired louvred lancets to belfry with moulded arches springing from nook shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, and hoodmoulds. Circular clock in third stage to west with moulded surround, circular panel to north with cusped six-pointed star, and cusped square panel with uncarved shield to north. Pairs of chamfered rectangular windows in second stage to west and north, each with floating hoodmould; central carved shield to west with lion. Lancets with nook shafts in first stage to west and north. 2-storey link to nave with 2 tiers of chamfered lancets. Interior: richly ornamented and furnished. 5-bay nave roof with chamf- ered arched-braced collar trusses springing from short wall shafts with dogtooth ornament, king posts with struts, and pairs of purlins with cusped wind braces. 4-bay aisle arcade consisting of monolithic circular piers, with fillets and moulded bases and capitals, and double-chamfered arches. Moulded chancel arch including one order of marble shafts with moulded bases and capitals. 2-bay chancel roof with moulded arched- braced collars springing from short wall shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, chamfered king posts, pairs of chamfered purlins with chamfered cusped windbraces, and pierced screen in front of ashlar pieces with billet ornament. Area between rafters with painted gold stars. East windows have marble nook shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, chamfered arches with dogtooth ornament, and hoodmould with foliate stops. North chapel and former family pew to south with double-chamfered arches springing from short wall shafts. North chapel has flat ceiling with moulded cross beams. Chamfered round arch between aisle and north chapel spring- ing from short wall shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Double-chamfered arches to tower-link block, springing from short wall shafts with foliate capitals. Baptistry in link block with wooden quadripartite rib vault springing from stone corbels in corners. Screen to vestry beneath tower consisting of 2 moulded Caernarvon arches with marble shafts and moulded circular panel to spandrel. Chamfered rear arches throughout. Complete mid-and late C19 fittings: reredos around 3 sides of sanctuary consisting of an arcade with marble columns, moulded trefoil arches, hoodmould with carved stops and frieze above with dogtooth ornament. Painted panels depicting the symbols of the Eucharist, the 4 evangelists and the Last Supper. 2 sedilia with piscina or aumbry to right. Wooden altar rails with wrought-iron supports. Choir stalls with carved heads to chamfered arm rests and frontals with blind cusped trefoil arcading. Pew in family pew with carved poppyheads. Polygonal wooden pulpit with trefoil-arcaded sides and shafting. Arcaded reader's desk. Brass eagle lectern with wrought-iron support. Pews with chamf- ered trefoiled-ogee panelled ends and moulded arm rests. Similar choir stalls at west end too. Organ at west end with Gothic case. Circular grey marble font in baptistry with stem formed from 4 red marble clustered shafts and bowl with carved relief at the baptism of Christ. 6-bay trefoil-arcaded wooden screen to north chapel. 2 hatchments in chapel also. Encaustic tiles. Stained glass in east and south-west windows. Monuments: tablet in north chapel to the patron, John Arthur Lloyd (d. 1864); brass with painted inscription and stone surround with carved base, shaft with moulded bases and capitals, moulded trefoiled arch with dogtooth ornament, and hoodmould with carved stops. Drawing in vestry of south elevation, signed by S. Pountney Smith and dated Shrewsbury 1857. This church and the neighbouring vicarage (q.v.) were to be part of a model village alongside the Shrewsbury-Baschurch road at this point, but no more was built. Pevsner dates the tower and the north aisle to 1872. This is a fine example of a mid-C19 church by a good provincial architect. B.o.E., p.164; D.H.S. Cranage; An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Shrewsbury Churches, p.860; Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1900), p. 117.
Listing NGR: SJ4693418353
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 860
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 164
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1900), 117
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing