CHURCH OF ST MILBURGA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1367602
Date first listed:
26-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MILBURGA, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MILBURGA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1367602.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:59:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MILBURGA, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Beckbury
National Grid Reference:
SJ 76511 01558

Details

SJ 70 SE 5/50

BECKBURY HIGH STREET (south side) Church of St. Milburga.

GV II* Parish church. C13 origins, remodelled C18, restored and altered C19. Red sandstone ashlar walls and red brick patching at east end of nave, plain tiled roofs.

West tower, c1730; two stages on plinth, plain string course, rusticated quoins, moulded cornice and pyramidal roof with weather vane; west doorway has a Gibbs surround, two round windows on north and west faces of belfry, now filled by clocks (J. Smith of Shifnal, 1856), above on west a round headed window and in the east wall a semi-circular opening.

Nave, also c 1730, rusticated quoins at southwest and southeast angles, moulded eaves cornice, pierced by C19 clerestorey on north side. South aisle 1856, five two light decorated style windows, buttresses; north aisle and transept 1880, two light windows and plain pointed door; north porch timber with bargeboards on sandstone walls 1888.

Chancel, early C14, restored 1856 and 1884; east window c1300, three lights with intersecting cusped tracery, two two-light early C14 windows and at west end cusped lancets above blocked low-side windows, that on south retaining original iron framework, diagonal buttresses to east wall, a memorial stone to Eleanor Watts (died 1816) is fixed to the south wall, blocked arched opening of uncertain purpose on north, recently restored, is most probably a medieval tomb recess.

Interior; much C19 restoration, nave arcades of three bays and tower arch re-built 1888, roof with massive tie beam aim restored; chancel arch and low stone screen erected 1884 when east end was raised, arch braced roof to chancel probably C19, early C14 piscina in south wall, stained glass in east window 1885. Stone pulpit with naturalistic foliage carving (designer unknown) 1867, Perpendicular font with cusped quatrefoils and shields in the panels considerably restored 1892; east window in south wall of south aisle contains fragments of C14 stained glass re-assembled by the Vicar in 1893, parish chest with fine ornamental iron work (? medieval). Incised alabaster slab (probably from an altar tomb) to Richard Haughton, died 1505, and his wife, Margaret, on the north wall of the chancel, was moved here during the 1856 restoration. In the Middle Ages, Beckbury was a dependent chapelry of the parish of Holy Trinity, Much Wenlock.

Cranage Vol. III, pp,184-5.

Listing NGR: SJ7651101558

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
255166
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 184-5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06729/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard N. Johns. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].