This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1368367



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Compton Beauchamp

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Dec-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250703

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


COMPTON BEAUCHAMP SU28NE 5/74 Compton Beauchamp House and 10/11/52 walling and attached bridge to north (Formerly listed as Compton Beauchamp House,with GV gatepiers. railings and gates to drive.) I Country house. C16, interior remodelled and front rebuilt c.1710. Owned in C16 by Fettiplace family, rebuilt c.1710 by Edward Richards. Limestone ashlar to facade, rest of house in C16 brick with limestone quoins and dressings; stone slate roof; brick stacks. Courtyard plan. Baroque style 2 storeys and attic. 2:3:2 facade with central 3 bays brought forward. Central late C19 6-panelled double doors with flat arch of voussoirs and plain architrave, early C18 sashes to all windows. In central 3-bay elevations ground floor windows have flat arches of voussoirs and plain architrave, first and attic floors have moulded architraves: First floor windows have moulded drip. Windows in side bays have plain architraves with moulded drip over to ground floor, moulded architraves to first floor. Central 3 bays have banded rustication to ground floor, large Doric pilasters to moulded cornice and balustraded parapet. Courtyard has two- light late C16 cavetto - moulded stone-mullioned windows to left wall. 4- light late C17/early C18 leaded casements to wall opposite entry. 2-light late C17/ early C18 leaded casements and two 2-light late C16 cavetto - moulded stone- mullioned windows to right wall. Left wall of house has 2-light late C17/ early C18 leaded casements, one 2-light late C16 cavetto-moulded stone- mullioned window and two 2-light early C16 stone-mullioned windows with arched heads: three C16 lateral stacks. Right wall has two 2-light late C16 cavetto- moulded stone-mullioned windows and four late C17/early C18 four-light leaded casements; two Cl6 lateral stacks. Late C19 sashes, C16 stacks to rear. Gabled roofs to sides and rear. Interior: rear room has full set of late C16 moulded beams and joists. Rear right room has fireplace of c.1710 with bolection-moulded architrave flanked by fluted lonic pilasters with pulvinated frieze; moulded dado rail and skirting of c.1710; Stairs to rear left: dog leg with landing, c.1710, closed string, turned balusters, moulded wall string, bolection moulded panelling and dado.Stairs to rear right of same type and date but with plain fielded panelling. First floor has gallery to right with bolection-moulded panelling; some panels have painted decoration of c.1710 in oriental style depicting birds, bamboo etc. Rear right has panelling of c.1740 with C16 fireplace which has bolection-moulded overmantle; bolection-moulded panelling to adjoining room and to front left. Late C16 fireplaces with moulded stone surrounds. The house is approached by a bridge carried over the moat. Limestone ashlar bridge with balustraded parapet swept round to balustraded wall which terminates in square piers at the corners of the moat. The arched heads to the windows on the east (left) side suggest that the original builder was Sir Thomas Fettiplace, who acquired the manor in the early C16. The house was substantially rebuilt in the late C16, which may be associated with the stone with the inscription M. Bressels Fettiplace 1583 to the right wall of the front entrance passage. The building of c.1710 has been associated with the marriage of Edward Richards to Rachel, daughter of Sir Edmund Warreford of Sevenhampton in about c.1710. Country Life, 24 June 1899 and Nov 30 1918. Buildings of England, Berkshire: p.121.

Listing NGR: SU2798686926

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 121
'Country Life' in 24 June, (1899)
'Country Life' in 30 November, (1918)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

National Grid Reference: SU 27986 86926


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1368367 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 09:49:35.

End of official listing