CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1369032
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369032.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:42:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Benson
National Grid Reference:
SU 61506 91637

Details

BENSON CHURCH ROAD SU6191 (North side) 7/39 Church of St. Helen 18/07/63

GV II*

Church. C12 nave and chancel; C13 aisles; nave re-roofed probably late C15; west tower rebuilding started c.1765 in classical style, finished c.1781 by Stephen Townsend in Gothick style; chancel rebuilt 1862 by Charles Buckeridge. Render, probably on limestone rubble to nave; flint with stone dressings to chancel; ashlar limestone to tower; sheet aluminium roof to nave; sheet coppper roofs to aisles; old plain-tile roof to chancel; roof to tower not visible. 3-bay aisled nave, chancel and west tower plan. Ribbed double doors with 2-centred stone arched surround to gabled porch to left of aisle. Two 2-light windows of Reticulated tracery to aisle, with hood moulds. Three 2-light stone mullioned windows with leaded lights to clerestory of nave. Chancel to right has two C19 Romanesque lancets flanking a round-topped plank door. Tower to left of 3 stages. Central plank door to first stage with 2-centre arched top with stone surround in tall round-topped shallow recess. Angled corner buttresses. String course between first and second stage. Round window with plain surround to second stage of tower. String course between second and third stage of tower. 2-light Y-tracery louvred opening to third stage. Battlemented parapet with fluted finials with pyramidal caps to each corner. Left return and rear of tower the same except round-topped window to centre of first stage of left return and round-topped blind panel to first stage of the rear. Rear: 3 two-centred arch topped windows to aisle with central mullions. 2 dormer windows to aisle roof. 2 paired trefoil topped lancets to probable former Lady chapel to left, now the vestry and organ chamber. 3 lancets under common 2-centred arched hood mould to right return of chancel. Interior: C12 font with C17 cover to left of chancel arch. C13 chancel arch of one chamfered order with a roll mould. Nave roof of square panels with carved bosses, some with the Tudor rose. C19 stained glass to the chancel. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.450-1; E.M.R. Ditmas: A Short History of Benson Church).

Listing NGR: SU6150691637

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
247748
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditmas, E M R , A Short History of Benson Church
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 450-1

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09230/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Fiona Tankard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].