Church of Holy Cross


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of Holy Cross, Church Street


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371539.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 14:49:27.


Statutory Address:
Church of Holy Cross, Church Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 67113 54295


SP65SE 7/150

PATTISHALL CHURCH STREET (North side) Church of Holy Cross


GV II* Church. C11 to C15. Restored and vestry enlarged 1872. Coursed squared limestone and ironstone, and ironstone and limestone rubble, ironstone dressings, lead roofs except for tile roof of porch. Chancel, vestry and organ chamber replacing north chancel chapel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, west tower.

Two-bay chancel has three-light east window with C19 Decorated tracery and two-light windows to south, that to south-east Perpendicular with straight head, that to south-west with C19 Decorated tracery. Small blocked low-side lancet window to south-west. Vestry and organ chamber to north, has three-light hollow-chamfered stone mullion windows to north. One-light windows and door to east with stone lintel and hollow-chamfered Tudor-arched surround, and lean-to roof. Nave has clerestory of two two-light leaded windows to north only, with wood lintels, and long and short work to north-east and north-west angles.

North aisle has projection to east end with two-light window to north with ogee-headed lights and quatrefoil to triangular head, a three-light Perpendicular window to east of blocked north door with round-arched head and imposts, and two-light west window with Y-tracery. Similar window to west end of south aisle, which has similar windows to south-east and south-west, three-light Perpendicular window to east of south porch, and four-light east window with pointed cinquefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil to head. Hollow-chamfered south doorway with chamfered stone surround and hood mould in C17 gabled porch with round-arched doorway with keyblocks and imposts and stone sundial above with shaped top.

Three-stage tower has many-moulded west doorway with old plank door and hinges, probably medieval, a two-light window above with Y-tracery, bell-chamber openings with similar tracery and plain stone-coped parapet. Diagonal offset buttress to tower, south aisle and chancel. Plain stone-coped parapets to body of church. All windows except those to vestry and clerestory have hood moulds.

Interior: chancel has piscina with pointed trefoil head, blocked north door with similar head and inscription above, chamfered arch and double-chamfered arch to vestry, and tomb recess to south with roll-moulded arch. Norman chancel arch with round-arched head and carved imposts. Nave has three-bay arcades with octagonal piers, polygonal responds, moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches. Chamfered arch on corbels at east end of north aisle: similar corbel to north, one bay west. South aisle has piscina with cusped head and aumbry. Blocked windows visible on south wall of nave above arcade on south side, one apparently circular. C17 communion table in north aisle. Polygonal C17 pulpit. Hanoverian Royal arms, oil on canvas, over tower arch. Two panels of much restored medieval glass in south aisle window: old crown glass leaded quarries.

Monuments: wall monument of limestone to Thomas Loving, founder of charity school, d.1684. White marble wall monument to Thomas Coleman Welch, d.1770. Wall monument with white marble sarcophagus inscription plaque on grey marble ground signed J.Stephens, Worc. to William Drayson of Floore Fields,d.1840, High Sherriff, 1839, and Thomas Drayson,d.1872, of Pattishall House (demolished).

Listing NGR: SP6711354295


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 370-371
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965), 483-484


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/02379/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Rod Poxon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].