CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1372373
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, LOWER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1372373.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:03:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, LOWER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Kettering (District Authority)
Parish:
Stoke Albany
National Grid Reference:
SP 80551 88294

Details

SP88NW 4/55 25/02/57

STOKE ALBANY LOWER ROAD (North side) Church of St. Botolph

GV II*

Church. Late C13 and early C14, restored C19. Regular coursed limestone and ironstone with ashlar dressings and Collyweston slate, C20 plain tile and lead roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. South elevation of chancel of 3-window range with 2 late C13, two-light windows with Y-tracery, trefoils and cusping. Lancet to far left has carved label stops and was probably inserted in larger window opening in C19. South door to right also has carved label stops. Steeply gabled roof with plain C19 corbelling, ashlar gable parapets and finials. Gable abutting nave is stepped. Late C13 three-light east window has intersecting tracery with cusping. North elevation of chancel similar to south with a low-side lancet window to right. South aisle of 4-window range of 2- and 3-light windows, from left to right having, Y, reticulated, Y and intersecting tracery with quatrefoils and cusping. Steeply gabled roof with C19 corbelling, ashlar gable parapets and finials. C14 five-light east window with Panel tracery and 3-light west window with a star set in a circle. South porch to left of centre is dated 1741 on sundial and has plain outer arch and ashlar gable parpets. Inner door opening has roll moulded arch with one order of shafts. North aisle of 3-window range of 3-light squared-head windows with tracery renewed C19. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. C20 lean-to boiler house in bay to right of centre. Nave clerestory of 5-window range of C16 or C17 two-light stone mullion windows to north elevation only. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets. West tower of c.1300 of 3 stages with sub-division to lower stage. 3-stage angle buttresses to lower 2 stages. 3-light west window formed of 3 lancets with small square-head door opening below. Opening formed into spherical triangle in west face of second stage. Pairs of 2-light bell-chamber openings with transoms and cusping to each face of upper stage. Castellated parapet with gargoyles at corners and coat of arms to centre of south parapet. Interior: 5-bay nave arcade of double chamfered arches with octagonal piers. Double chamfered and bracketed chancel arch and double chamfered tower arch with chamfered responds. South aisle is considerably wider than north aisle. Some original timbers to north aisle and nave roofs and C19 roof structures to chancel where also tomb recess with cusping to north wall. Trefoil head piscina to south aisle. Monuments: inscribed tablet to Frances Parker died 1683 in south porch. Various early and mid C19 tablets. Late C19 and early C20 stained glass to all chancel windows and west tower window, that to north and south windows of chancel may be by Kenpe. Font is a single gadrooned baluster dated that. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.414).

Listing NGR: SP8055188294

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
230913
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 414

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07403/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Paterson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].