CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373643.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:55:52.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Norfolk (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TG 19751 39013
FELBRIGG FELBRIGG PARK
TG 13 NE
5/13 Church of St.Margaret
Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with stone and brick dressings.
Lead and tile roofs. West tower, nave, north and south porches, chancel.
Embattled tower of 4 stages of knapped flint built by Sir Simon de Felbrigg
in c1410, diagonal buttresses. Flushwork basecourse, partly lost to north.
West doorway having slim shafts with polygonal abaci and bases, arch with
roll and fillet moulding; hollow to continuous inner and outer orders. Hood
mould and label with stops with beasts heads. Encircled shields in the
spandrels, one with a fetterlock (the symbol of Sir Simon de Felbrigg), the
other with a bird. 3-light C19 west window in medieval opening with hood
mould and alternate stone and flint voussoirs. Square ringing chamber
openings with cusped cruciform tracery, partly lost to south. 2-light
Perpendicular bell-openings. Stair turret to south east corner of tower with
slit lights. Buttress nave of 3 bays in flint rubble with some ironbound
conglomerate, the buttresses being added in C15 some with the fetterlock
symbol. To the south, to the left of and partly covered by porch a blocked
2-light window with panel tracery still visible; hood mould with figure
stops; alternate flint and brick voussoirs; 2 3-light C19 Perpendicular
windows. To north a buttressed porch with flushwork similar to tower; single
cusped lights to east and west under square hood moulds. Archway has slim
shafts with polygonal abaci and bases, hollow chamfered arch; hollow to
continuous inner and outer orders. This porch is also built over a similar
blocked window. 2 similar C19 3-light windows. Rood stair. Buttressed
chancel of 2 bays; 2 windows to south blocked having alternate stone and flint
voussoirs. To north 2 post-medieval brick buttresses; one blocked window
with alternate brick and flint voussoirs; blocked doorway with 4-centred arch.
3-light east window of the 1874 restoration. Buttressed south porch has
square knapped flint to south; restored blocked single lights to east and
west. Similar archway to north porch; ogee-headed niche over. Continuously
moulded nave doorway with hood mould; stoup beside. Interior. C15 roof
restored in 1956 with some new bosses. Tower arch with shaft having
polygonal bases and abaci; chamfered arch; outer continuous order; inner
arch on head corbels. Chancel arch has polygonal shafts, bases and abaci
to roll moulded arch. Sedilia and piscina of c1400 with 4 crocketed and
cusped ogee arches, encircled shields in the spandrels, crocketed finials;
niches with tierceron vault. The centre two arches are cut by a monument
to William Windham d.1810 by Nollekens having a sarcophagus with lions paws
resting on a plain base surmounted by a bust of Windham. Many other
monuments to Windham family including that to Thomas Windham d.1653 having
unfluted Composite columns and pilasters, a central bracket to broken pediment
with laurel wreath and achievement and two winged figures lying atop the
pediment, one with scythe and one with trumpet. Erected 1669. 2 similar
memorial monuments Joan Windham d.1669 and John Windham d.1676 with panel
having scrolled eared architrave, scrolled broken pediment and achievement;
winged cherub bust to base. Monument to William Windham d.1689 perhaps by
Grinling Gibbons, of white and grey marble; panel surmounted by putti and
an urn; flanked by swags of fruit and flowers, massive projecting base.
Series of brasses from late C14 to early C17, including that to Sir Simon
Felbrigg and his wife d.1416 with 1.5m high figures. C18 pine box pews,
ramped to east. Late C14 octagonal font with traceried panels. Ceiling in
chancel of 1785 with arched braces, restored 1956.
Listing NGR: TG1975139013
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing