Stiffkey Old Hall

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1373654

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 20-May-1983

Statutory Address: Stiffkey Old Hall, Church Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of Stiffkey Old Hall
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373654 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Mar-2019 at 10:36:36.

Location

Statutory Address: Stiffkey Old Hall, Church Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Stiffkey

National Grid Reference: TF 97426 42963

Details

TF 9742 15/124 STIFFKEY CHURCH STREET (south side) Stiffkey Old Hall (formerly listed as Old Hall)

30.11.51

GV II* House. Date 1576 onwards. Additions and alterations of C17, C18, restored C20. Walls flint, brick and stone dressings, red pantiled and plain tiled roofs. Fragment of a 'U' plan house intended to be symmetrical about the courtyard. Two storeys, attics.

Built for Sir Nathaniel Bacon, with financial help from his father, Sir Nicholas. The west or kitchen range and half of the north or Hall range survive; the Hall is ruinous and the east range demolished. Distinctive round towers at north-east (ruined), north-west and south-west angles, divided into storeys by string courses with two-light casement windows, parapets to north perhaps defensive.

North (hall) range north side: with mullioned and transomed windows, some C20. West range west front: random fenestration, mostly C18 leaded casement windows of three lights to first floor. Classical entrance surround c1911. Gable of hall range is expressed at north-west mullioned and transomed attic window, flanking stacks and central finial. Kitchen chimney breast expressed externally, two stacks on eaves. At south rectangular stairs-tower with two-light casement windows arranged as risers.

Courtyard: north hall range: mullioned and transomed windows. Hall screens passage with four centred arched doorway and C16 door marks entrance to roofless hall. Stairs tower to north-east angle, north-west ruinous.

Courtyard west range: ground floor mullioned and transomed window, C18 casements above. Four centred doorcase arch. West range south gable: divided into three storeys, mullioned and transomed window to each; coped brick parapet, bracket kneelers; central stone finial; round tower at west.

Interior rebuilt 1791; 1911 by Harry Redfern, 1978 by Bernard Feilden. West range has some four centred fireplaces, internal timber framed partitions on first floor for service corridor; plaster barrel vaulted attic chamber. Rectangular west stairs tower has newel running from floor to roof height, but stairs not built here. North range: barrel vaulted attic, plaster stripped to expose timbers. Deep 11" x 4" joists.

Early example of country house with rooms served by passages.

Listing NGR: TF9742642963

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 223421

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 19 February, (1916), 240
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,

End of official listing