MILL HILL CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1375430
Date first listed:
26-Sep-1963
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
MILL HILL CHAPEL, PARK ROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILL HILL CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375430 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 16:51:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
MILL HILL CHAPEL, PARK ROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 29966 33476

Details

LEEDS

SE2933SE PARK ROW 714-1/77/303 (East side) 26/09/63 Mill Hill Chapel (Formerly Listed as: PARK ROW (East side) Mill Hill Chapel (Unitarian) (including churchyard wall and gateway to east))

GV II*

Unitarian chapel. 1847-48. By Bowman and Crowther of Manchester. Late C19 alterations and internal re-ordering c1925 and 1960. Millstone grit, slate roof. Gothic Revival style. Aligned north-south. 7 bays, the central projecting bay is a 1-bay transept with main west entrance, vestry to NE and east entrance from Lower Basinghall Street. Deep moulded rebate to west entrance; 2- and 5-light traceried Perpendicular windows with hoodmoulds, stepped buttresses between which are carried up through the trefoil-pierced parapets as bases for missing crocketed finials; elaborate pierced lantern tops and finials only remain on the octagonal buttresses flanking the south window; cross finials to gables. INTERIOR: the west doorway opens into a lobby which has pre-1847 wall memorial tablets and an inserted ceiling; the 6-bay nave with shallow side aisles has clustered columns and an arch-braced roof with angels carved on the brackets and stone corbels also carved with angels; the southern 3 bays have been partitioned off to form a church hall with storage loft/gallery over, c1960. The nave has original pews with crocketed finials and pew-end doors with original latches, hinges and plaques with pew numbers; pulpit of Caen stone on west side. The shallow chancel has raised marble flooring with memorial to Charles Hargrove, minister 1876-1912, d.1918, and choir stalls c1925, reredos with mosaics by Salvati of Venice, c1884, of Christ and the prophets; organ in west aisle post 1896, (a memorial to the Bulmer family); the vestry was enlarged at the expense of Sir James Kitson, Bart, 1897. STAINED GLASS: includes in the west wall an original window by Warrington of London, a memorial to Arthur Lupton and Anne; in the east wall and obscured by the gallery stairs: a fine early but faded Morris window in memory of Ann Kitson, d.1865, mayoress 1860-62 and mother of James Kitson, first Lord Airedale: Pelican pietas, angels with musical instruments,

figures of Ruth, Martha and Mary Magdalen designed by William Morris and Dorcas by Ford Maddox Brown. In the east wall 2 windows by Clayton and Bell; at the north end the Lord Airedale memorial window by AK Nicholson of London (1912) represents the continuity of Christianity and portrays local and national figures including Sir James Kitson himself. MEMORIALS: tablets include on the west wall: John W Connon, local architect, d.1921. Mill Hill Chapel is renowned for the ministry of Joseph Priestley, 1767-1773 at the then Presbyterian chapel built in 1674. The present building was used and elaborated early C20 by a small but politically active and very influential congregation led by the Revd Charles Hargrove and Sir James Kitson. (Fitzpatrick, A C: Mill Hill Chapel; guidebook: 1989-; Fraser, D: A History of Modern Leeds: Manchester: 1980-: 336).





Listing NGR: SE2996633476

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
466326
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fitzpatrick, A C, Mill Hill Chapel Guidebook, (1989)
Fraser, D, A History of Modern Leeds, (1980), 336

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].