BARRACK BLOCK, MAKER HEIGHTS BARRACKS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1375582
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1998
Statutory Address:
BARRACK BLOCK, MAKER HEIGHTS BARRACKS, MOUNT EDGECOMBE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARRACK BLOCK, MAKER HEIGHTS BARRACKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375582 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 22:12:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARRACK BLOCK, MAKER HEIGHTS BARRACKS, MOUNT EDGECOMBE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Maker-with-Rame
National Grid Reference:
SX 43493 51396

Details

SX 45 SW MAKER WITH RAME MOUNT EDGECOMBE

1551-0/6/10002 Barrack block, Maker Heights barracks

GV II*

Infantry barrack block; later used by social services; disused. 1804-08, by the Ordnance Board; upper floor rebuilt 1859-60. Rubble with brick and granite dressings, rendered later to the front and ends, ridge stacks truncated, with slate hipped roof PLAN: I-shaped plan with double-depth officers' quarters to the South end, 3 single-depth barrack rooms to each floor. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 3:8:3-window range. A symmetrical front with the end sections set forward, with 2 ashlar porches 6 bays from the ends with pilasters, cornice, and blocking course, the left-hand one back-to-back, with gun slits and openings to sides; horned 6/6 pane sashes boarded at time of survey (1995), the windows to the officers' end have label moulds. 3-window S-return has a 2-storey porch and label moulds. North end has a doorway and external stair. Unrendered rear with more pronounced end projections, and a central external stair of granite treads, formerly with iron rails, with 2 opposing flights joining to one up to later brick platform. INTERIOR: officers' section, not accessible from the main range, has an axial corridor with a stair flight from the entrance hall with uncut string, column newel and stick balusters, a 4-centred fanlight at the end of the hall, and rooms with cast-iron fire surrounds with pulvinated frieze and shelf above, panelled doors and shutters. The central section has 3 barrack rooms with king post roofs and tiled fire surrounds, with some simple timber fittings. The North end double depth with a large fireplace in the party wall, possibly later. HISTORY: A typical though now rare C18 plan, in which officers and men shared the same range. Originally with timber and tile-hung upper storey. Maker was a barracks for over 200 infantry to protect the Heights overlooking Devonport Dockyard, for a garrison manning the line of 1782 redoubts Nos 1-4 (SAM). It was built as part of an extended building campaign during the Revolutionary War, to protect Devonport Dockyard. This is the most complete and unaltered example in England of a small garrison barracks from this significant period, and includes many of the ancillary buildings within a defensible site. (Exeter Archaeology Report: Pye A: Maker Barracks: 1994-; Transactions of Devon Association for Advancement of Science: Breihan J. Barracks in Devon during the Revolutionary & Napoleonic Wars: 1990-)



Listing NGR: SX4334551282

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469546
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Breihan, J, 'Proceedings of Devon Association for the Advancement of Science' in Army Barracks in Devon during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic War, (1990)
Pye, A, 'Exeter Archaeology Report' in Maker Barracks, (1994)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15959/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Midgley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].