NUMBER 5 STORE, COLOUR LOFT (MO 56)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1378560
Date first listed:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
NUMBER 5 STORE, COLOUR LOFT (MO 56), MORICE YARD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1378560.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 16:27:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBER 5 STORE, COLOUR LOFT (MO 56), MORICE YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Plymouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 44821 54832

Details

SX 44S4 NE PLYMOUTH MORICE YARD, Devonport Dockyard 740-1/95/187 No.5 Store, Colour Loft (MO 56)

GV II

Store. 1840-50. Limestone ashlar with granite dressings and slate roof, hipped to the Wend. Rectangular 2-cell plan with central through passage with stair. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 7 -window range with 3-window ends. Store has a cill band, a coped E gable with a clock in a stone surround, and small bell tower behind the gable on the ridge. Central S doorway with 4-pane overlight and C20 double doors, entrance in the Wend has steps up to C20 doors and plate glass overlight, and central second-floor hoist door in N side under a bracketed canopy; 6/6-pane horned sashes, 3/6-panes on the second floor. C20 fire escapes to altered doorways at ends of each side. INTERIOR: lined with vertical timber boarding, ground-floor central chamfered posts, with a good central Imperial stair formed by 2 back-to-back dogleg stairs, one ground-floor flight removed, with uncut string and heavy stick balusters; in the attic is the mechanism of the clock. HISTORY: one of the last buildings built by the Board of Ordnance, on the site of the original powder store. A good and well-preserved example of a small mid C19 naval store, within the best surviving naval ordnance yard in the country. (Source: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 248-256).



Listing NGR: SX4482154832

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476510
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 248-256

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].