CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1382195
Date first listed:
05-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382195.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 05:59:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Wolverton
National Grid Reference:
SP 20621 62333

Details

WOLVERTON

SP26SW MAIN STREET 1457-1/6/125 (West side (off)) 05/04/67 Church of St Mary the Virgin

II*

Church. Origins of 1208, with later additions and alterations including windows and priest's doorway probably late C14, C16 sanctuary ring and iron-work, with C19 porch, vestry, bell turret and restorations, including rebuilding of east end. MATERIALS: coursed lias stone rubble with ashlar east end, timber porch and bell turret, and plain-tile roof. STYLE: Early English and Decorated. PLAN: 3-bay nave with south porch, lower 2-bay chancel with north vestry. EXTERIOR: entrance: glazed and gabled south porch has decorative bargeboards, and traceried decoration to sides. Within is a double-chamfered, 4-centred arch and studded plank door with strap hinges, sanctuary ring and lock. Nave has chamfered plinth. South side: diagonal west buttress with off-sets; 2- and 3-light windows with trefoil-headed tracery in double-chamfered, 4-centred arches. North side: buttresses with off-sets between bays and diagonal buttress to west; westernmost window has 3 lights with Y-tracery to head in double-chamfered surround with hoodmould. North doorway to centre bay: plank door with double-chamfered pointed arch. Then a 2-light window with reticulated tracery. West end: central buttress with off-sets between 2 lancet lights in chamfered surrounds. Short bell turret with broach spire and pierced openings. Chancel: south side has double-chamfered plinth, partly renewed. Priest's entrance: plank door in double-chamfered, 4-centred arch; renewed ogee-headed lancet in chamfered surround and a 2-light window with reticulated tracery to head. North side: ogee-headed lancet; vestry has Decorated-style 2-light window. East end has 3-light window with Decorated-type tracery to head in double-chamfered surround with hoodmould. INTERIOR: oak screen, much restored, has Perpendicular tracery to upper stage. Ogeed piscina. Wagon roofs. Octagonal font on octagonal plinth has quatrefoil decoration. Marble wall tablets with festoon embellishment to: Thomas Stanton `Lord of the Mannor' d.1701; his son Thomas, d.1719; and Thomas Stanton d.1664 and his wife Elizabeth d.1703. In north nave window are many fragments of medieval stained glass, some in other windows, south window of chancel has late Morris glass. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 479).



Listing NGR: SP2062162333

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
482561
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 479

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].